Ventilation for Fireplace

JoeHooker

Hi,

Just wondering has anybody done this or herad of it, i was advised lately to install vents to my fireplaces to allow for ventilation to the fire, so its not drawing the air from the rest of the room, or in the case of an open plan the rest of the house causing a draught. I was thinking of putting in a lay flat rectangular duct underneath the screed and out through the wall to provide adequate ventilation for the fire. My fires are going to be gas im at the stage just before plastering where i can do this now, before the plasterer starts.

Has anybody heard of, done this and whether or not this is a good idea, couldn't find anything about it in any of the building regs or homebond. I have the house pretty well insulated and would hate to be losing heat when im trying to achieve the opposite.

Joe

This would be more applicable for solid fuel fires. Its a bit overkill for a gas fire, im not sure on the exact technical data but gas fires do not need much 'draw' for exhastion of fumes etc. Is it an open fire with a chimney?

Sydthebeat,

Yes its an open fire with a chimney, it maybe a bit of an overkill however i want to safe rather than wishing i had done it earlier, whislt i have the opprtunity to do it now.

Back