Venice To Lake Garda

kd1964

Hi
I havent been to Italy but want to visit Venice (i was told 2 days would be plenty)and maybe two days in Lake Garda,is two days enought in Lake Garda, can i get to Lake Garda from Venice, is the transport system good. Any helpful advice or recommendations would be great.
Thanks
Kath

You can take a train from Venice (Mestre) to Desenzano. Takes about 2 hours IIRC.

If you want to go to the mountainous, northern end of Lake Garda, take a train to Verona, and from there to Rovereto (on main line to Trento). Take a local bus or taxi from there to your destination.

Thanks for the replies, would Dezansano be a nice place to stay for two nights.

I stayed in Desenzano last summer for about five nights and really enjoyed it. It's a little on the quiet side, lovely restaurants but not too many bars. We stayed in Venice before it and got a train down. It was very straightforward. I can give you the name of our hotel in Desenzano if you choose to go there. I'd highly recommend it.

thanks, i would appreciate name of the hotel. the area isnt too pricey,is it, i sort of want a budget holiday. thanks again
kath

I think the south of the lake is very pretty. Peschiera is also on the train line & is very quaint. Near to Serimone, which is lovely (but very touristy). Prices will depend when you go, but I generally find hotels in Italy to be abit on the expensive side & not always to the same standard as we have now (think of Ireland about 15 years ago). 2 nights is probably too short to look into the option of an apartment which would probably be cheaper.

Venice is a must see but 1 day was enough for us....rather tatty and very busy with tourists. 1 night stay (so 2 days visiting) would certainly mean you see all the main sights....if you're going budget, don't even think about coffee on St Marks Sq. But you will get very reasonable places to eat just off the main tourist trails.

just to let you know a small thing about the trains in Italy - you must validate the ticket at the platform (yellow box) or you will be fined (loads of inspectors & they don't listen to any excuse).

Enjoy - the italians are lovely so I'm sure you will have a great holiday

thanks for all the info (i have a husband who hates going to unfamiliar places so thats why i want to have all my homework done.
Thats exactly what I want, a hotel near the train line, again thanks again

Our hotel in Desenzano was called Hotel Benaco, the website is http://www.hotelbenaco.com/uk/index.htm . It was less than a minute’s walk from the train station, you could nearly see it when you walk out from the station. Breakfast was included and there was a very good selection. There is an outdoor swimming pool if you don’t feel like going to the beach and we had a lake view room with a lovely big balcony.

In Venice we stayed here http://www.rioalto.it/. It’s a townhouse more so than a hotel so the price is more reasonable than hotels. It’s owned by this hotel http://www.hotelbartolomeo.com/english/eng_intro.htm so you check in here and they walk you to the Rio Alto which is closeby. It was really nice and the location was great too. If I was to do the same holiday again, I’d stay in both those places again.