Venice in winter

tomred

Hi,

We are getting married at the end of the year and are planning a short (4night) stay in Venice for our Honeymoon. Plan is to stay in a top hotel etc etc.

To this end I was wondering if anybody could let me know what Venise is like around Late December / early January. I know it will be winter, fairly cold, wet etc but I would like to know if it is still worh going i.e. is everything open etc etc?

Thanks

I went for christmas and new year a couple of years ago. It was quite mild a bit like here here really. Although they had set up alarm sysytems to warn of any flooding. Canals didn,t stink either, which was a plus.

Went there a few years ago in Jan, it was cold and crisp. less crowded and no smelly canals as compared to the summer. Great to walk around at night time, very quite and lovely night sky when you head out into the squares. We had it all to ourselves, or so it seemed. Would go again in the winter, has a somewhat better beauty in the winter sun......

Dont worry about the wheather you will have other things to keep you happy, like each other

We also went in winter and were obliged to buy wellies - the cheapest thing we bought while we were there! But despite that, it was lovely, in a way it had a different kind of magic, just be prepared for the weather. Every thing is open and you don't have the crowds. Great time to go, I would say.