Venice and Florence

DamoH

Looking to go for a trip to both Venice and Florence
Can someone recommend a nice hotel / area? (4 or 5 star)

Thanks

Hi Damo

We were there a couple of weeks ago on our honeymoon.

Not a huge fan of Florence, personally I just found there were too many people, are herding around outside the Duomo - didn't particularly like that. We stayed in a small hotel on the Via Cavour that I wouldn't recommend but my parents stayed in a lovely hotel near the Piazza della Signoria which was very central, called Hotel Pierre on the Via Lamberti. It was really lovely, I'd stay there if I went again. The area around the train station isn't great so avoid that.

When we went to Venice (which we loved) we stayed in a small hotel called Palazza la Scalla. It was located between the Rialto and St. Marks Square - good location, small hotel but I would go back they were very nice. Room was pretty tiny though - the bathroom was nearly bigger! You'd want to print off decent directions to get to any hotel in Venice from the vaparettos as there are so many tiny streets and laneways you'd easily get lost.

HTH

M

http://www.venere.com (www.venere.com) we found our hotel in venice on this site and there is a map so you can see where hotels are but the voporetta system is brilliant and goes all the time

On a visit to Venice the one thing I noticed with most tourists that were staying overnight was the way they had to struggle through the streets with their luggage. Very narrow streets with lots and lots of bridges. I'm sure there are water taxis but they must be expensive because I saw people lugging cases all round Venice.

Other than that I'd still recommend a visit - lovely city.

Yeah Pee I saw that too when we were there - actually we were two of those tourists! Thankfully, my husband (still can't get used to saying that!) is a strong man and took charge of hoisting our huge cases over the one set of steps we had to get over - otherwise we just pulled the cases behind us - hence the importance of proper directions, not to mention getting on the right vaparetto!

M

Have been to Florence and Venice a few times. On every occasion we have never stayed in the cities proper - the quality:price ratio in the centre of the cities is waaay off. Particularly in Venice.

The trains () are frequent, comfortable and inexpensive... e.g. the last trip I took to Venice, I stayed in Padua... lovely city and far more value for money than Venice.

Back