Venezuela

Was extremely dangerous about 5 years ago , visitors were generally housed in compound type hotels.
Nothing seems to have changed , see www.fco.gov.uk which is the Foreign office website - the details on Venezuela are frightening !

i was there 3 years ago and apart from caracas never felt threatened. beautiful country..i went to the west..merida and lake maicaibo...great places for adventure sport and wildlife. Also went to the caribbean coast..town called porto columbia..beautiful beaches, very laid back carribean feel. If you like latin music and dancing you will also be in heaven...dancing to be found every night - , even if you cant dance its mesmerising to watch them all. my boyfriend was also there few years ago before we met...he went down to angel falls...its a big trek down but he said he was beautiful..he also went to an island - isle margarita but he wasnt mad about it...

Am jealous - would love to go! Best resources are virtualtourist.com and the thorn tree posts on lonely planet. Posts from people on the ground so you know the real mood of the country.

Back