Vendor ignores closing date second time round - sorted in time for Xmas :)

Listen to the advice your solicitor gives you. If they say to reinspect this morning and then close do that.

Disregard any advice from the EA or their solicitor or even if the vendors ask you a “favour”. Just follow your solicitors advice. This is a very large legal transaction and it needs to be done with clarity.

But be very clear to your solicitor what you want. Tell them I want to close today with full vacant possession. I do not want the vendors to return to the property once it is legally mine. Or if you are happy to be accommodating tell your solicitor I want to close today but I have no objection to the seller returning multiple times over the next 6 months to retrieve their property. Once you are clear to your solicitor what you want tell everyone else you are performing the sale as advised by your solicitor and that they need to talk to your solicitor not you. Let her deal with all the issues until the property closes.

Once it is yours change all the locks, don’t assume the sellers won’t have kept a spare set to pop back to get just one last thing. And hopefully you did not agree to store the sellers stuff so get a skip and fill it. And be prepared for permanent fittings to be taken, people are wired. When we got possession of our house all the lightbulbs were gone! And people leave behind all sorts of stuff, so just get a skip and dump it.

It is a very stressful process so you can help by being clear to your solicitor and letting them deal with all the nagging details. Best of luck.

Its incredible that this carry on by the vendors is allowed to happen. Unfortunately we also had issues a few years ago, but nothing as bad as this, I took a day off work from a new job to get their crap out and asked my solicitor to make a fuss, she did but nothing happened.
Anything left behind was skipped, and the letters accusing us of throwing out "valuable " stuff, I pointed out the skip was delivered after we moved in and if they were valuable why weren't they taken away, they threatened to sue, still waiting 13 years later.

After a few months the stress and upset passed and hopefully this will happen to you and you can get on with your lives and get decorating and start enjoying your new home.

Snap

How much 'junk' is there? I presume there is nothing in the contract meaning you have an obligation to store it or them?

If there are no other issues, I'd be tempted to close as is and once signed and sealed give them an ultimatum to agree a time slot in the next day or two to collect their belongings. If they fail to meet that, start charging a daily storage fee and state it will all be thrown away after 30 days.

The alternative is your solicitor commences an action for specific performance of the contract, but that can take months and cost in the thousands.

The main three options here are:

• Extending by agreement the deadline to close;
  • Withdrawing from the sale and having your deposit refunded in full;
  • Issuing legal proceedings seeking to compel the Vendor to compelte the sale.
Good luck with how you proceed.

Thankyou so much it all worked out we pushed out closing date for another day vendors cleared out everything & sale closed. Sorry about all the drama on here but I was in a real panic of what might happen...

Thanks for that we agreed to extend & sale closed a day late thankfully