Velux window in kitchen

seanied

I live in a 3 bed semi with a kitchen extension, same as you see all over the country. The kitchen is fairly dark and we need to turn on the light even in the afternoon. We were thinking of putting in a velux or similar window in the kitchen.

Has anyone had this done and what is the approx cost of getting someone to do this for us. Or are the any other options you can think of.

Cheers

We also had this done in a dark kitchen. Made a huge difference even though the extension was north facing, no direct sunlight. We put in the largest velux window which was about 1metre sq.

Installation depends on whether the extension roof is flat or not. Ours was flat so the carpenter built a stand to sit the velux on as it has to be sloped. I would advise you to get the person installing it to do something about the tunneling effect that occurs when velux is set into ceiling i.e. have the ceiling sloping in toward velux as opposed to right angles...if you know what I mean

We had 2 jobs done at the same time so I don't know exactly but I can't imagine the finished job being more than 1k, not including window. The velux window was about 600euro I think.

I know If you are putting them into a new build roof they cost about €1000 supply and fit, it will cost a bit more as its a renevation job its a bit more work.

Good luck, make sure you are going to catch the sun i.e house position