Velux style window 550*610

wishbone

Hi there, I have an existing (skylight) window in my bathroom, velux style only it's a metal frame. It's nigh impossible to open as it's so high up, it has an old fashioned closing mechanism, hinge and lever is it called? I have other velux windows and a rod which is great, but I can't use it with this style of opening/closing. The existing window is 550*610. The smallest window from Velux is 550*780. Has anyone any suggestions for other windows similar to Velux that could be opened and closed in a similar Velux fasion? Thanks a mill.

unless its leaking, you might be better off leaving it alone. it is a fairly awkward and messy job to retofit a velux. the diff in size wouldnt matter much as you still need to strip back the tiles/slates and the inside plaster

Thanks xt40, currently getting the roof redone so we're looking at getting it swapped out now while the job is being done and we already have a certain amount of mess. There are pipes going around the existing gap for the current skylight window hence the reason we are restricted by size. I'd love to get it done now if I could, it's a now or never job I expect.

with the roof off its a different story. there will be a bit of mess inside but the slates /flashing is the most awkward part and the most important thing to get right. you should go for it .
velux are latched from the top whereas fakro have 2 handles on the bottom which might be handier . ive both and there is no noticeable differenct in quality

Thanks again xt40, I've checked out Fakro, I had never heard of them before and unfortunately the smallest they do is 55*78 also. Seems I am stuck with a window that I can't open...

you can get electric ones for a price. the bigger size shouldnt matter so much
. making the opening a bit bigger is very easy , esp when the roof is off
(try keylite as well)

Im not sure whetehr you need to open the window or whether its just for light? If you are sure you dont need to open it why not simply put a pane of glass over it? My trusted builder has suggested that i do the same with a velux that I have (says he has done it several times before) and - when I thought about previous velux windows that I have literally never opened - i have decided to go with it.

That said, electric opening sounds a good idea if its not too pricey

Back