Vegas - retired couple

di74

My parents go to Florida for a month every year. This year as my Dad is 70 they are finally (after years of talking about it) going to take a trip to Vegas whilst there - about 3/4 days.
I've been myself but would have had a very different type holiday to them. They're not the most adventurous travellers which is why they return to the same spot in Florida every year for the last 15 years.
They really need the trip to be well organised for them, so I'd like to put together an itinerary for them. Would love anyone's advice on where to stay, any trips/shows they could do and restaurants. Gambling scene wouldn't be for them they just want to 'see Vegas'.
Also whilst I was there I drove to the Grand Canyon - they won't drive over there but I think they'd love a day trip to see it. Any suggestions?

Choose their hotel carefully. Avoid the giants like the MGM where it can take 15 mins+ from your room to the strip. Don't skimp on the hotel either, you can get the Venetian for around $100 a night, so no need to sacrifice luxury for budget.

Restaurants, depends on what kind of food they want...we prefer food in bars or more casual places. Friends dragged us to Teppanyaki at the Wynne for over $150 per person and it was awful. Maybe somewhere like Cafe Grand Luxe in the Venetian as a good catch all?

Shows...again it depends on what they're in to. We've done a couple of Cirque shows, I slept through them all, hubby loved them. Have also seen Spamalot, The Producers, Phantom and Mama Mia in Vegas. Skip Phantom, they've butchered it to fit the 90 min slot.

We went to Vegas last July, very hot, about 40 every day. Stayed in the Venetian which was handy enough base for everything. Did a helicopter ride out to the Grand Canyon over the Hoover Dam, landed in the Canyon for lunch and did a flight over the strip on the way back, took about 1/2 day to do. Each hotel is so different and has such different shows, you can do a google search to see what is on and where during the time they'll be there, would love to be going back there this year

I drive to the grand canyon too. Unless you desperately want to see hoover dam, it makes far more sense to get a chopper out there. Maybe stay over one night to catch the dawn. Then another chopper or plane ride aroudn it. The Vegas strip is pretty big. I'd put them in a Hotel where the shows are, or very close to it. Otherwise its a lot of walking. We had no interest in gambling and were happy just to wander around checking out shows, shoppers, or just looking around. We were there for 3 days just passing through and it was enough for us.