Vectra Using up power in Battery When Car not in use??

K

kierank

Hi,

I have a 99 Opel Vectra 1.6 petrol, last week it was totally dead when i went to start it, Alternator was gone. I went to collect it today from the garage and the battery was really low, thought it was just ran down but mechanic had recharged it over the weekend. He quickly checked it and realised that the car is actually using up the power while it is parked up. I have done nothing with it (such as changing radio/alarm etc). There is nothing left on or anything and he says it is using up a significant amount of power like as if the dims were left on. He is unable to check it over properly until friday so Im lookin for some advice & I really need it over the xmas! Thanks in Advance!

Hi,

Just a thought, but do you think maybe it just needed a new battery and you got an alternator that you didn't need? Try and find out if it was the origional battery that came with the car. Sometimes a good mechanic will write the date a battery is replaced on the side or top. If the battery is seven years old....chances are you did.

Having said that your mechanic may well be right. It's called a leak in the electrics and can be difficult to find. You'll need to find a good auto electrician, as most mechanics shy away from electrics....

The alternator was definetly gone alrite. The battery is ok too. The mechanic checked with his own battery and the car is definetly taking power from the battery when the car is turned off.. I was told it might be something to do with the alternator taking the power.. something to do with a "rectifer" or a valve of some sort not closing?? Im not a mechanic so I don't really have a clue.. Any more advice appreciated ;-)

I would be very nervous of that amount of power going somewhere? I would keep one lead off the battery till it gets sorted out - in case of fire.

make sure that boot door is closed as is glove cpmpartment. There are lights in both and if lights are left on, battery will drop