VAT Receipt with a second hand Jeep?

Darth Vader

i'm looking to buy a second hand Toyota Land cruiser. One of the sales people i meet about one of these, said that there was a VAT receipt with it. Although I nodded at the time, I realised later that I had no idea what this means.

Is it that if I was buying this for business purposes and was VAT registered , I could claim the VAT back?

Whats the deal with claiming back VAT? Is it worthwhile to register yourself for VAT in order to claim back on purchases such as this?

When the jeep comes with a VAT receipt, does that mean VAT was paid on the jeep and you can claim it back if you can? It doesnt mean that VAT is to be added on to the advertised purchase price??

Usually someone who works for themselves would be setup for VAT

You can claim back VAT on commercial vehicles

Van jeep with back seats and windows taken out.

I thought that VAT would have been claimed on the van jeep by the first owner when it was new? there should be no VAT charged on a Second hand vehicle to claim back? AFAIK

But if the first owner provided a VAT invoice to the subsequent owner (garage), then it would be available to the new purchaser.

Bear in mind, most garages, when selling commercial vehicles (jeeps, vans, trucks) advertised prices EXCLUDING VAT as they believe the majority of prospective purchasers would be registered for VAT and so able to claim it back. Double check the full price - incl. VAT.