Vat On UK Commercial

D1983

Bought a van from the UK,payed the vat(not vat registered).It had one previous owner from new,on lease contract.How could i check if the previous owner payed the vat on this? without asking the dealer.

Hi, as far as i am aware i think that the previous owner would have to pay vat on the repayments if the van was on a lease agreement (hire purchase) the leasing company would have provided the finance in the first instance, hope that helps

If that was the case does this mean i should be able to claim back the vat from the UK? If the previous owner was vat registered it would mean that i couldn't claim it back?
Thanks.

From what i've read you can claim back vat on a vehicle if its been payed already and its from another EU country.

As Mathepac has posted you have to be vat registered to claim any vat refund. In any event if vat has been claimed buy the original buyer ie the leasing co , vat cannot be claimed twice for the same purchase

So if vat was payed on the original purchase in the UK why does it have to be payed again by me when exporting it from the UK?

So if vat was payed on the original purchase in the UK why does it have to be payed again by me when exporting it from the UK?

You brought from a dealer presumably vat registered (that is why he charged you vat) any business registered for vat must charge vat, if you were vat registered you could claim the vat you paid.
Interestingly enough if you brought the van up north and were self employed and provided a vat number you would not pay vat at point of sale, i think would have applied in the UK too