VAT on small retail items

greentree

I wonder if anyone could give some quick advice here!

In our line of business we end up having to supply our customers with lots of ad hoc bits of stationary and some refreshments. We purchase these stationery and grocery items in Tescos. In brief:

1) Can we get a VAT receipt from the retailer (Tescos)?

2) Can we claim back this VAT?

3) Do we need to add VAT onto the cost of the item when selling to the end consumer?

Thanks in advance

Sorry - I misread that.

I thought initially that the OP was suggesting VAT on an already VAT applied item. If so, then it is a no, but realise they probably meant adding VAT to the cost net of VAT.

Sorry - I misread that.

I thought initially that the OP was suggesting VAT on an already VAT applied item. If so, then it is a no, but realise they probably meant adding VAT to the cost net of VAT.

I thought the same when you asked the question, but I hope that by cost the mean the true cost ofter reclaiming the VAT.

Tesco don't show the VAT on receipts... and does anyone think they'd actually issue VAT receipts on request?, I don't think so personally...

I think there may be special rules for VAT for certain types of retail business... or it may be only buisness to buisness sales in which VAT must be clearly shown, and not for certain types of retail transactions.

I've raised the issue of no VAT being shown on Tesco receipts, on AskAboutMoney, several years ago... I didn't really get clear answers I seem to recall.