VAT on imports from US

S

Spice Girl

I have a small home business (wedding invites). Haven't made any money yet. Hoping to keep it under the 70k VAT threshold. I import from the US and have to pay VAT on any imports. Can I claim this back? Assume that I can only claim it back if I register for VAT myself.

I have a small home business (wedding invites). Haven't made any money yet. Hoping to keep it under the 70k VAT threshold. I import from the US and have to pay VAT on any imports. Can I claim this back? Assume that I can only claim it back if I register for VAT myself.

I'm sure you know this already but just to clarify, the 70k VAT threshold is based on turnover not profit.

You can still register for VAT even if you are under the threshold. It really depends on circumstances. Would it be viable to register for VAT, claim your VAT back but then charge your customers VAT.

Not 100% sure on this, but I think it's custom duties and not VAT that you pay on imports from the US (there may be VAT on top of the custom duties though), so registering for VAT mightn't have any effect on what you can claim back.

Back