VAT on cars from channel islands

T

Tango1

Hi,

After 4 months of searching i've found my perfect car that was origionaly registered in the channel islands. I have had her checked by my mechanic and all is well. He said to check out the VAT and VRT have been paid, so i don't get stuck with them. The car was registered in 2003 and imported into ireland in 2005. One owner from new whom is now seling it to me.

I tried the revenue and all i got was recored messages holding for 10 minutes and they cut me off!

I'm thinking there must be some sort of form saying it is VAT paid?

Re the VRT. the cars has a 03 D reg so i assume it has to be paid before they got the reg number?

Any help much apreciated...

T

If the car has a vehicle reg number and reg certificate then there is no problem. Worth checking them to be sure they are genuine-the local vehicle reg office wshould be able to verify the details from its data base.

Please check the cert to see that there are no time restrictions to its sale to you. This would be the case if the importer was able to avail of the VAT ecemption on its import into Ireland. The Tax break states the car cannot be sold, leased or hired for a period of 12 months from its date of registration, not the date of import into Ireland.

Back