VAT, mixed countries and distributors

fallingbrick

Hi all,

I have just setup a software development company. I am based in Ireland but have distributors based in UK and Sweden.

The setup is:
The companies in UK and Sweden market and sell the final products, potentially worldwide. I may, or may not, be actually selling here in Ireland due to a potential publishing deal (i.e. they could be the sole sellers). At month end, the companies will send me a breakdown of sales, their percentage split and a final amount owing to me. I then invoice the companies for these amount.

Where does VAT come into play? As I am not actually selling the product to the end-user, does VAT affect me (or ultimately, am I still the seller of the product to the distributors - if that makes sense)? The Swedish company has asked for my VAT registration details. As I am not VAT registered, would this cause an issue?

As this is our first year of trading and our unsure of turnover, we are currently NOT VAT registered.

Sorry for the above question, I'm sure the answer is very straightforward. It all seems so grey to me with all the different countries involved etc.

Kind Regards...