VAT audit

Blackhorse B

hi,

i left my Vat return undone for over a year and completed it last month, revenue got back to me about 2 periods (where i reclaimed) saying they want to see a sample of the large invoices (sales and purchases).
Was this I left the returns undone for so long or am I about to be audited?
my receipts are a bit of a mess, any advice appreciated.

Regards

Adam

This is what's commonly called a "desk audit", so yes, you are being audited but to a limited degree. If you had a reclaim they are entitled to see that you have valid invoices for those claims. Give them the relevant copies etc. and provided there are no other issues arising that should be the end of the matter.

BTW, leaving VAT returns for over a year is one sure way to pop up on Revenue's radar for possible full audits. I'd keep things on time from here on.

Not submitting returns is like standing at the front door of the tax office in a red suit waving a flag and shouting 'I am a tax dodger' come and get me.

thanks for that.
they asked for a sample so do they ring up the supplier in question to confirm all receipts/invoices i submit?

thanks for that.
they asked for a sample so do they ring up the supplier in question to confirm all receipts/invoices i submit?

Its possible although Revenue do not normally tell the taxpayer what verification procedures they adopt. What's most important is that where VAT was claimed by you that the relevant invoices are all proper VAT invoices bearing the VAT number of the supplier etc.

Back