VAT Audit

carrielou

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what is needed. self employed man with 1 employee. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

You can have your accountant with you for it, if the pressure is too much on your own.
You don't have to show them all your paperwork like orderbooks, notebooks etc. ,just the financial books.

A. Meet your accountant. If you have any sins confess them early.
B. after the accountant have reviewed the period under audit they will notify you of any issues that need to be addressed.
C. A prompted voluntary disclosure should be made if there is any outstanding issues.
D. If you want your accountant there they can go but the Revenue Auditor will want to talk to you.

I do the books for the man and it specifies on letter that its a VAT audit for one year.

the man in question probably wont manage many answers

i think the reason why is due to what profits he has been making he has been using to put back into the business (construction) so vat returns were low if not refundable.

Sales Book
Purchases Book
Expenses Book
Bank Statements

what would you think. Gross turnover €72000

i think the reason why is due to what profits he has been making he has been using to put back into the business (construction) so vat returns were low if not refundable.

This statement puzzles me slightly, how does he put his profits back into the business, and how does it affect the VAT liabilities?

He could quite easily have low / refundable VAT returns if he is working as a subbie a lot and zero rating a lot of his turnover.

Sales Book
Purchases Book
Expenses Book
Bank Statements

what would you think. Gross turnover €72000

I'd add copies of the sales invoices, and the hard copies of the purchases invoices and creditor statements to that list.