Varnish a beech solid wood work top?

Muffinb

Hi al, Just have installed solid beech worktop and given it 6 coats of worktop oil but the finish looks crap and although it seems water repellant it is maeking really badly and the finish does not look durable at all.

O you normall put varnish on the worktops or just oil???
Im temted to coat them in yacht varnish or a ronseal hardglaze that we used on out floors to make it usable as I cant se myself baking ot anything on these worktops unless \I do something
ANy ideas?

You will find it difficult to varnish or lacquer the counters now, given that they've been coated in oil- you'd have to thoroughly strip them with a degreasing agent. I don't think varnish is the way to go- this will make the counter look quite "plasticky" and if that's the end result you'd be better off with formica. Varnish will chip and be damaged over time also and may not age gracefully. I think you might be missing the point about the oiled finish- it's natural, it will show up marks and scrapes etc. That's called "character" and after years of use your counters will develop a honeyed, mellow colour from use and exposure to light. For baking etc would you not use a baking sheet or marble slab over the counter?