Vapour Barrier in Timber frame house

LMNOP

Hi All,
Building a timber frame house. Wall section from the outside is 4'' block, 50mm air gap, vapour barrier, 12mm OSB, 50mm Kingspan foil backed insulation, then the timber frame itself. We are going to start slabbing soon and are putting in 100mm of fiberglass between the studs.
Should we put a vapour barrier over this fiberglass before we slab it out? Many Thanks, L.

yes this is important.you could use a vario membrane made by moy isover in tipperary this allows your walls to breath do not use a polythene sheet as all this does is seal your house and will eventually damage the wood ,,,,fungal growth etc make sure you seal round the windows and leave enough to overlap up to the ceilings and floors talk to moy ask for david rossiter he will explain and even send someone out to show you tell him ed told you.i am also building a timber frame what u value windows are you using?

i would also like to know more about this paroc insulation can i use it in my walls in a timer frame house i am going to use metac fiber glass 220mm maybe i should change ,i need some advice and would very much appreciate any tips regards reilly4 cork

I have problems with some of what is suggested above. Externally the framed panel will be covered in a BREATHER membrane (not a vapour barrier), which allows water vapour within the construction to dissipate harmlessly into the residual cavity, while at the same time preventing (wind driven) water from entering the construction. On the internal face you must have a VAPOUR barrier (polythene or similar) to prevent water vapour from habitable spaces migrating through the fabric into your insulation where it may condense, causing what is termed "interstitial condensation". You could use a foil backed plasterboard (duplex board) which will function as a vapour barrier but whichever method you use try and seal around all openings (services etc) as well as you can to minimise pathways for moisture to enter the construction. Moy insulation will do a condensation risk analysis on your proposed build-up and I highly recommend that you do this.

Back