Vandalism incident

O

ohana

I'm looking for some advice on a recent vandalism incident that happened to me. My car was vandalised outside my apartment. A guy in one of the apartments in my block invited a dodgy crowd around for a party after going to the pub. They got rowdy and started throwing things off the balcony and down onto the cars below. As a result my roof and bonnet are damaged to the tune of 2k. The guards came pretty pronto but the people who actually did the damage had legged it in the meantime. The party host (who rents the apartment) left a note on my car apologising and said he would pay for the damage. I gave him the estimates for the damage but that was two weeks ago and not a peep out of him since. He has been evicted in the meantime and doesn't return my calls. The guards say that unless they have the names and addresses of the people who actually did the damage there's not much they can do.
That leaves me to claim from my insurance, but my no-claims bonus will be effected. Should I just chalk it down to bad experience or is it worth looking into small claims court? Any thoughts appreciated...

What about contacting his ex-Landlord - explain - maybe he can give you the name of the jerk's employer (assuming he has one). If he was evicted he'll probably be glad to help you nail him. Call him at his employers. If he try evades you, keep pestering by faxing him on the employer's general fax number ensuring everybody in the company can read the faxes. Embarass the jerk, let his employer and fellow workers know of the loutish behaviour and company he keeps.

Report it to the management company- you should be able to get contact details from the landlord/ or letting agent?

thanks, I did report it to the management company alright and they said to keep them updated as to the situation. Hopefully the ex-landlord can give some further contact details. I have the mothers number and place of employment but she is denying all knowledge of his whereabouts..

fatmanknows said:
What about contacting his ex-Landlord - explain - maybe he can give you the name of the jerk's employer (assuming he has one). If he was evicted he'll probably be glad to help you nail him. Call him at his employers. If he try evades you, keep pestering by faxing him on the employer's general fax number ensuring everybody in the company can read the faxes. Embarass the jerk, let his employer and fellow workers know of the loutish behaviour and company he keeps.

if he's the sort of person who gets evicted, this probably won't concern him too much...

fatmanknows said:
I would advise against this course of action. You could end up on the receiving end of a harrassment complaint.

bond-007 said:
I would advise against this course of action. You could end up on the receiving end of a harrassment complaint.

Very un-Bond like - to be afraid of an harrassment complaint.

ohana said:
Should I just chalk it down to bad experience or is it worth looking into small claims court?
You have no case to take to the Small Claims Court (cannot be used for cases between individuals).

fatmanknows said:

I doubt a landlord will give out the guy's e-mail address (if he has it), and the course of action you are suggesting won't get the OP their money, and will more than likely lead to more problems.

You don't say whether you're insured TPF&T or fully comp. If it's the latter - you could claim from your own insurance although obviously NCB is then gone and premium hike upon renewal.

Another thought is the MIBI - your own insurance company would have to act as insurer concerned, (MIBI's excess is €635 but yr insurance policy is not affected). Maybe a call to your local friendly solicitor would help - he/she might be able to frighten yr former neighbour into naming and shaming! Especially if your brief 'hinted' that there was the possibility of them being sued! Best of luck, Amanda

MIBI will NOT be involved in an incident such as this. the culpable person is not a motorist.

originally posted by Ravima
MIBI will NOT be involved in an incident such as this. the culpable person is not a motorist.

Just recently I dealt with a lady who's vehicle had been pushed down a hill by 2 lads, her vehicle struck a tree and the two boys ran off. No-one so far has been charged but she was able to claim for the damage to her vehicle thru MIBI.

Don't see any reason why Ohana couldn't do the same.

I do not understand. My understanding is that MIBI acts like an insurer to those who are uninsured. Did lady claim under her own policy with her own insurers?

thanks for all the replies. I've submitted the details of the incident online with MIBI so I will let you know if that leads to anything and weigh up the cost of 635 excess versus impact of claiming on my own insurance policy (fully comp).

You have no case to take to the Small Claims Court (cannot be used for cases between individuals).

But now I doubt my own advice:

To be eligible to use the procedure, you, the "consumer" must have bought the goods or services (or the service) for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.

But

What kind of claims can be dealt with?
  • A claim in respect of goods or services bought for private use from someone selling them in the course of a business (consumer claims).
  • A claim in respect of minor damage to property (but excluding personal injuries)
  • A claim in respect of the non-return of a rent deposit
Provided that a claim does not exceed €2,000

Above taken from the [broken link removed].

Your original advice was correct I think. Minor damage to property can be caused by a faulty product or poor service, and that's the situation that clause covers, not damages in general.

I hope the landlord got a b*llocking from the management company about this and a lecture on being more careful about who s/he lets to.

Had the tenant damaged common area property, the management company would have levied the amount onto the apartment owner's account.

Forget it you are xxxxing against the wind I think, just put in down to experience, even if you did get his number he did not do the damage so why should he pay for it, sorry to be blunt but move on,

Back