Van warranty issues

Dom123

I bought a 171 van about a month ago from a simi registered dealer which still has manufacturers warranty. After purchase I noticed the parking assist system was not working. So I took it to my local vw dealership who, after,assessing the fault, confirmed it was covered under warranty. Dropped the van in today to get the work done and they've contacted me to say they found previous wgork done that is not vw so now not covered. 600 euro. I bought car with full vw service history and warranty. Contacted dealer I bought it off as I think they should stand over it. Also, I never would have agreed to the work if it wasn't covered and took the risk of having to pay for initial assessment at vw. What options do I have here?

You should have brought it back to where you purchased it from prior to having any work done. They were not given the opportunity to remedy the issue, and unfortunately now, I don't believe they have any obligation to pay for work done elsewhere.

I'd wonder why the previous non-VW work was carried out on a van under warranty, and who carried it out. I presume those details were not supplied at time of purchase.

Thanks for reply. I did go to seller first who advised to take it to vw dealership. In fairness, seller has now agreed to cover costs after talking to vw dealership. Have to say, both vw dealership and ind. dealer acted in good faith here.

Would be curious to know why any work would be done by anybody other than manufacturer whilst under warranty.

Back