Van for sale on public road blocking access

ryan-neil

Hi,

I'm looking for bit of advice, our apartment complex of 8 apartments face onto the main road through the area, access to the car part at the rear is down the side of block A, call this road A, one apartment looks out onto this and there are two houses whose driveways are onto this road. The road ends with in a semi circle that two more house are built off and the entrance to the car park is. Someone has parked a large transit van and is blocking one of the two lanes of road A, it means that to get onto the main road you need to come out of the car park and the swing around the van on the wrong side of the road into any traffic that may be comming into the apts / four houses, its a blind turn as the van is so big.

As its a public road is there anything that can be done re legally to have the van moved. It has been there over a ten days at this stage.

Re: Van for Sale on Public Road. Blocking Access

You could always buy it!

Seriously, since it's a dead end road, and the traffic numbers are likely to be low I would just stick a note on the windscreen like this.

Attention owner

This is a warning that this vehicle will be ticketed and towed should it remain in this spot during a lighting up period under paragraph 10, Section 26 of the Road Traffic Act.

Garda Scribble Scribble ~AE392

Call the council and report an abandoned vehicle.

You may have to set it on fire before they come and do anything about it.

If you do this, anyone selling an apartment in the complex will not thank you.

(Joking!).

You could ring the guards and report it as an abandoned car, I had similar similar situation a couple of months ago, car parked outside my house for 8 weeks with no-one moving it for all this time (person who had owned it had actually moved out from next door house and just left the car there). It took a couple of phonecalls to the council and the guards but it was eventually moved.

Isnt it now illegal to have a 'for sale' sign on a vehicle on a public road?
If so, report it accordingly.

I looked into this for a problem we had - as far as I remember if its taxed and insured and the reg plates are there neither the police or the county council will move it - unless it is parked in a dangerous place or breaking some other rule of course - that didn't apply to us. If the reg plates are not on it or if its tax is out of date then the guards will remove it apparently.

We had the same problem with car parked for sale at entrance to estate. I rang the guards who said it wasn't illegal but they rang the owner anyway who did move the car. So I reckon its worth your while ringing gardai.

According to the Rules of the Road:
....you must not park:

within 5 metres of a road junction.....
You must not park in any way which interferes with the normal flow of traffic, or which obstructs or endangers other road users.

to get onto the main road you need to come out of the car park and the swing around the van on the wrong side of the road into any traffic that may be comming into the apts / four houses, its a blind turn as the van is so big
Drop into the Garda stn -you stand a better chance if you report it officially. Tell them its parked in a dangerous position and that there have been several near misses. If there are any kids around - tell them there are! - then they'll more than likely take action.