Value of Planning for Extension

Erith

Does having plans and planning permission for an extension increase the market value of a house?
Thanks, E.

Yes, providing the planning permission doesn't run out of date within 18 months of the sale of the property

My brothers planning permission for a extension was valid for 5 years, he nearly didn't build the extension in that time frame either :)

Thanks Mo3art.

Anyone able to give guidelines on quantifying the value added? Is there a helpful property agent reading this board?

E.

Erith said:
a helpful property agent

E.

Surely a contradiction in terms? :) A bit like 'Kenny Live'! it depends on what you put into the extension. Extra bathrooms/bedrooms? Is it a two story extension? You'd be best get the plans for the extension and then ask your local estate agents to do a revaluation!

"Surely a contradiction in terms? :) A bit like 'Kenny Live'!"
Very funny. Poor Pat.

I think there is a chance I might get slanted information if I approach an agent professionally. That's why I hoped for a bit of unbiased feedback here first.

By the way, the plans are in the final stages.

i would say it is only an advantage if it is something that your neighbours couldnt get.
our house was recently sale agreed in 2 weeks , a record time for our area because it was an end of cul-de-sac property , with 6 times the parking the other houses have and was the only house on the road with space on the side to add on.

I emailed an estate agent with this question also and they said that it wouldn't add any value .. I sortof found this hard to understand.. we have a property that is currently being rented by tenants and there's a large garage space to the side , so plenty of room for a twostory extension.. don't plan on selling right now but down the road we may .. Can you post any update you get on this ? I would expect it to raise value but I don't know if it's worth it based on the costs of getting plans drawn up .. Actually - what are the costs / timeframe around this ?

most estate agents dont know their This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language from their elbow and quite frequently, you the vendor would have a far better appreciation of the true value of your property. as i said in my previous post, its a plus if it is a unique(ish) feature of your property. if everyone has the same space and options , it is nothing special. if you have extra space, most people would assume that there is scope for extending and assume that they would have to pay for that advantage, so you can advertise the property as having a garage/extension space without having to fork out for plans.

Back