Value in old euro coins

Jazz01

I recently came across an article in the newspaper in relation to a 2005 Irish euro coin being identified as being rare, with some sellers advertising such for sale up to €900 each (e.g. here).

This got me thinking about my own euro coins ( 1 & 2 euros) that I used to save in a large jar. Going through this stash of coins yesterday, I realised a few things - I need to get reading glasses as I found the dates hard to read, my youngest child enjoyed checking & researching the coins and I guess most importantly, I have a number of these "rare 2005 1 euro coins".

I have about €600 worth in 1 and 2 euro coins, from across different european countries, so I'm wondering if anyone on here could recommend a good site for cross referencing these coins for their rariety. I checked a few yesterday, but nothing that was conistently good. I also tried a few apps to picture / grade the coin, but these were hit and miss really.

This (coin value) is all new to me - not sure whether to try to sell or hold onto these coins for my kids in years to come. I do have one VERY large regret in relation to rare coins - I was given a 1985 20p coin (back in 1985) - which as a kid didn't survive, which is now fetching up to €8000.

Do you have a link to the newspaper article? What is rare or special about the coins that makes them valuable. It's possible it's just some chancer on Etsy advertising coins in the hope someone will buy them. Also possible a 'journalist' in need of something to fill space came across it and didn't do much checking (anything can be advertised at any price, doesn't mean anyone bought it at that price).

some of those rare coins are not as rare as you think. I'd suggest doing a search on Ebay sold items and see what some of these actually sold for..

I remember hearing it on the radio a few months back, and as mentioned, it could be "fill space" that an advertised coin was being sold for high prices. Found it here on line - which just references the etsy site - so perhaps, just a seller inflating the price.

@thedaddyman - thanks for the recommendation for the ebay sold items - good reference of what coins are being sold and why they are showing as rare.