Value for money - percolation

Demps

Anyone any experience in relation to the above - having percolation testing performed next week and have been quoted 100 euros to have the holes dug and also an additional 100 euros to have them filled back in again. Think I will fill them back in myself - has anyone recent quotes for getting these holes dug.

Thanks

Got holes dug for 80 euro earlier this year. half hr job.

You could refill (by shovel) the percolation area test holes but not the bigger hole which I think is at least two metres deep.

guide to percolation test holes
[broken link removed]

My local digger man done it for me for 40euros, I gave him 50euros and he filled it in for nothing

If there are no animals on the site, you could hold off on filling it in until you clear your site

Do the people doing the Percolation test not have to do this?

A percolation test is about a grand in wexford - surely this is done as part of it? Or am I being too naiive?

100 euros seems very good. The holes have to be left open (but fenced) while the planning is ongoing. No way you will fill in the big hole, ground gets hard. If you are lucky to get planning whover is clearing your site will fill them in.
Person who does the test does not dig the hole, they are normally engineers and must have indemnity insurance. I got mine done for around the 350 mark which is cheap

A digger in many rural areas costs around €25-30 per hour, but he'll need to be paid to bring it there too (and to get home). So €100 doesn't seem outrageous unless the digger is onsite anyway. Are there other jobs you can get him to do when he's there?

The hole has to be left awhile to fill up so the guy has to go away (with his digger) and come back, so you pay all over again, naturally (unless the digger is on the site doing a few days work clearing your site, digging foundations, drains etc.). But you're probably not ready to clear the site if your PP is depedent on your percolation test, I guess?

Thanks for the replies.

We have hired an architect and as part of the overall fee they are organising percolation as part of the planning application. We covered the fee for Laois County Council which is 300 euros.

Got a further quote of 100 euro all in for digging and refilling holes - which I thought was very reasonable. Got even better news when a friend of the family offered to do it once we cover expenses (petrol etc.) - Happy days!