Vaccines for Thailand

kildarebuild

Going to thailand in 2 weeks time. Doctor has advised us to take injections for the holiday of 3 weeks. Specifically locations are bangkok and koh samui island. We are advised to take hepatitis, thyphoid and polio. Cost is 300 for two of us.

Is it just me or is this a ridiculous precaution to take? And any setbacks from taking those injections ie more harm than good. Also bear in mind the locations we are going is nothing into the jungle...

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: vaccines for thailand.

They are pretty standard vacinations and you should get them. He is not suggesting malaria tablets which is good as there is no point if you are only going to those places. Shop around for the prices. You would be amazed how much they differ

u'll probably be fine without,but if you get sick u'll have wished u had them.I wouldn't skimp on my health

Would strongly recommend that you take them. Having spent time in Africa and in Asia and seen the result of people not taking them, its just not worth the risk. Price does seem high tho.

the TMB give a discount if two people are seen at the same time
ww.tmb.ie

I went to both of those places earlier this year. I had the vaccines but i met a lot of people out there who did not get them and they all lived to tell the tale. Personally if i was going again i would get them again for peace of mind sake alone. Bangkok is horrible if you can change plans do, dont leave bangkok airport and head straight to koh samui.

Bangkok is horrible if you can change plans do, dont leave bangkok airport and head straight to koh samui.

thats a matter of opinion. Ive been to Bangkok twice (on way back from koh samui) and really enjoyed it both times. Its great craic. would go back again.

I went to Thailand 5 years ago and at the time it cost about £200 for the shots and malaria tablets. I didn't take the malaria tablets in the end as I wasn't in any areas at risk but I would recommend getting them. Also at the time I thought it was a bit strange getting a rabies shot. When I arrived in Koh Samui I understood why. There's stray dogs EVERYWHERE! By the way consider Phi Phi if you want somewhere really lovely. I left Koh Samui earlier than intended. Hated it.

Agree with all previous posters, been to Bangkok and Koh Samui last 2 years and got full set 1st year going (cost me 112 as there were a group of 10 of us so got discount from TMB) and had to get 1 more last year. Went to GP last year who was able to do it for me so check prices with yours also. Would definitely recommend them..is it worth ruining your holiday for the sake of €150?

I have been in Phi Phi pre Tsunami and post Tsunami. Have to say I couldn't stay there too long. The devastation was just awful especially remembering what is it was like before the tragedy. Having said that, they need tourists so well worth a visit so you can spend a few baht and it was last year so it might be much better. Thailand is a wondeful place (try Koh Lanta) but I have to agree with the posts. Koh Samui is awful!!! Still it is only a matter of opinion and I know lots of people who loved it

Sunny I was there for about a week in 2001. I stayed in 2 different places, one being Phi Phi Charlie's. I heard it (along with numerous other places) has been totally destroyed. I often think about going back but like you said, it's heartbreaking to see these people's lives devastated. In saying that, you made a good point regarding spending money and helping rebuild the tourist industry.