Vaccinations for travel in SE Asia/Australia

N

nicaniomaire

Hi,

We are heading to South East Asia (Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos) in early Sept for 2/3 mts before spending a year in Australia on the working holiday visa.

My doctor has quoted me what i believe to be a ridiculously high quote for the vaccinations and there seems to be loads of them.

My question is to see if anybody knows what are the required vaccinations if any at all and if anybody could let me know how much it may have cost them if they made the trip.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

N

I was charged about 140 euro last year for injections to cover me for Thailand. And that was the developed part so there were a few that I didn't need that you might.

That was in Dublin city centre so it might be cheaper elsewhere?

We needed to get loads of vaccinations for that exact region. And it was about €150 again as we had to go back quite a few times for some of the jabs.

Your doctor isn't trying to scam you here - take their advice. If you want to research requirements yourself try www.tmb.ie but it's no substitute for sound advice. (And remember that trekking and going off the beaten track, which I'm assuming you are planning to do if you're also visiting Burma, increase your risk dramatically.)

I'd agree with Sun sparks, do not scrimp on vaccinations. I went to Vietnam,Laos,Cambodia and Thailand a few years ago and spent approx €150 on vaccinations in the tmb before leaving. I would certainly wouldn't risk traveling without them. One thing you can do to cut costs, is get doxicycline(if its effective for the zone you are travelling in) in Boots in Bangkok, a 2month course cost us about €8.
Also remember to follow you your vaccines with boosters as some are effective for up to 10 years.

Totally agree with jodi about Boots in Bangkok. Fantastic place (and great for air-conditioning too, which you will only understand when you get there).

Mind, I think Malarone is becoming more popular, so it's worth posting on a site likehttp://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com to see whether Boots in Bangkok stocks that too.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to go without all the recommended vaccines. If you are prescrived anti-malarial tabs take them EVERYDAY. E150 or whatever the price could end up literally saving your life. Also make sure you have good medical insurance in place.

also bear in mind that a lot of the vaccinations you get will do you for the next 5 - 10 years, some even maybe for life, so you'll probably be covered when you make any subsequent trips. I got all the jabs done in Dublin city centre about 5 years ago and it cost around e100 so e150 is probably about right now.

what price were you quoted?

Cheers for the advice - €150 sounds grand - i was been quoted over €200, so i think i might just go and shop around. Am going off the beaten track so will get all recommended shots.

Thanks again - greatly appreciated :)

Nics

Back