Vaccinations for South America

Hatchetman

Are they really needed, we will be going to Santiago, Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls and Rio de Janeiro during August, are vaccinations worth the money or is it mainly for those who are going off the beaten track? We were told by a doctor that yellow fever wasn't needed but said hepatitis A was,yet others say its not really essential. We were in Beijing a year ago and got no jabs at all. Opinions please.

We were told we definitely needed injections for the areas around Igazu Falls. This year there have been a lot of cases of yellow Fever so it would be essential to get. In fact when we went to Brazil we needed to show we had been vacinated against it before we were allowed in.

The injections are well worth getting for the peace of mind.

[broken link removed] is a great site

We are in a similar position and have been told we need to show our yellow fever vac cert before getting into chile

I got all my vaccinations - Yellow Fever, Hep A, Tetanus & Typhoid. My doc also insisted I take Malaria tablets. I visited Brazil - inc Iguassu - Argentina, Chile & Peru, in that order, and wasn't asked to show my cert once.

Maybe it depends on which order you visit these countries ? I think Yellow Fever vac is mostly for Peru as I've been told Brazil won't let you in if you've been to Peru first & can't prove you've been vaccinated.

I think it's better be safe than sorry as I was reading somewhere that Malaria is on the increase again & any of these diseases are fairly nasty.

Lets put it this way , with the exception of Yellow Fever which is obligatory in many S. American countries , the other vaccines are recommended. So yes you can spend all that money on the holiday and save on the vaccines and hope that you don't come home with some exotic disease. In Ireland we live in a country with high level of hygiene and don't have the immunity that a lot of poorer people have in these countries. And of course that is not forgetting that 3 million people worldwide die of malaria.......not in the West so of course we don't worry about it!!!!!
Use the head , use the cdc link or the following and see what the World Health Organisation advises. Don't gamble with this.
malahttp://www.tmb.ie/

Lets put it this way , with the exception of Yellow Fever which is obligatory in many S. American countries , the other vaccines are recommended. So yes you can spend all that money on the holiday and save on the vaccines and hope that you don't come home with some exotic disease. In Ireland we live in a country with high level of hygiene and don't have the immunity that a lot of poorer people have in these countries. And of course that is not forgetting that 3 million people worldwide die of malaria.......not in the West so of course we don't worry about it!!!!!
Use the head , use the cdc link or the following and see what the World Health Organisation advises. Don't gamble with this.
http://www.tmb.ie/

Back