Vaccinations for South Africa and Mauritius

Hibernicatio

Is anyone aware if vaccinations are required to visit South Africa and Mauritius (September 2007). The travel agent said that they are not required but it is up to the individual if they want to or not.

Any experience of this?

A large group of us went to Mauritius in '05. Nobody got vaccinations and everyone was fine. I don't think they would be too vital for South Africa either, but I could be wrong.

You don't need vaccinations to visit SA. Depending on where you plan to go, you may need anti-malaria tablets.

Thanks for the replies. Think we should be ok without any, but may pick up some anti malaria tablets. Thanks

H

in all fairness tmb are hardly impartial now are they?
check out here
[broken link removed]
and here
[broken link removed]

I had my vaccinations done today for our honeymoon in Mauritius in Sept.
I had tetanus, Hep A and polio. I got them from my GP who is South African and travels to Mauritius a lot. Although not a requirement to enter the country, all agencies advise on those three. Yellow fever not required unless you are travelling from a yellow fever area.

I'm sure, for the sake of 100 euro and two injections, it is worth it, and also the peace of mind that goes with it. It may be at the back of your mind every time you get ice in your cocktail or have a fresh salad. And then when you get home, you may stress every time you get a cough or sniffle and be wondering what if.............??

Hi Colin79ie,

Is there a minimum required incubation period to get those injections. I would have thought there is plenty of time before September.

You don't necessarily need injections for SA but discuss with your GP.

Get the injections at least 6 weeks before you go.
Hep A can make you feel a bit flu like/nauseous next day so don't plan anything major just in case.

I think Hep A is good for a year but if you get a booster within 6 months you are covered for 10 years - a good idea if you have any travel plans for the future.

Enjoy SA