Utv Wireless

IrishGunner

They have finally brought it in

Anyone have a look & see if its worth it as thinking of getting it as thinking of getting it myself......

Utv Wireless

Looks like an alright deal, when you consider that it's €95 including p&p, which is as good as (if not better) than buying the same/similar from Komplett.ie I reckon. I'm sure there has been a plethora of opinion over on boards.ie !

I have the 1 year contract with utv so thats why I was thinking of this

If I do go wireless does it effect the download speeds ??

I don't think that the fact you are in a contract with U.TV should have any bearing on your decision to get a wireless router from them (only that it's suitable for their product/service), I'm sure any suitable router will be fine, and you may be able to get it cheaper than €95.

WRT to speeds, I'm not much of a tecchie, but I think the speeds might be affected marginally (if using one connection) and a bit more of using multiple connections. Note that I think the download speed will be the same, but the speed at which the data is transferred to your pc (from the router) is governed by the spec of the router and the receiving device (e.g. a network card-p.s. I presume that you have a wireless enabled pc or laptop?? I don't unfortunately, but the card isn't that expensive-€30 or so I think).

I'm sure there are better informed people out there than me though????

Yeah just noticed that about contract

dont have a Laptop just your standard PC using BB. The reason I want to get it is that I want to move my PC from back bedroom to box room and dont want to stary laying wires

So with the utv wireless It also requires a wireless / network card ??

IrishGunner said:
So with the utv wireless It also requires a wireless / network card ??

Sure does. Take a look at the link you posted earlier:

Is there anything else I need for a wireless home networking solution?

Yes, to connect all your computers to your home network wirelessly, you will require a wireless adapter for each.

So, adaptor means network card (or similar device that will do the same job)

cheers

thanks for that may just look around for adapter

Just realised posted in wrong forum

Mods move if necessary

Your speed should not be affected at all, Wireless G (and for that matter B) routers transfer data much faster than your broadband connection

UTV top speed 2Mbps
Wireless B 11Mbps
Wireless G 54Mbps

Even though real world throughput is often less than 54Mbps you would need a really bad connection for it to be as slow as the UTV speed.

Its a pity they aren't doing any bundles with USB or PCI wireless adapters you will need one of these, looking at EUR30 for a cheap one up to EUR 45-60 for name brands. Buying the two together can also be an advantage as even though these things are supposed to be standards based two products from the same company often work easier together.

Just found out the router they supply is also a modem, never thought of that

Going to get it off them as at least I will have support..sic

Going to get a usb network card and stick that in and hopefully all should be ok

Will report when I test

I see that this month's (I think!) PC Pro magazine has a big review session of boradband routers. The BT Voyager 2100 is included (the one being sold by UTV). It gets a reasonable review, not the worst, not the best.

I also see that this router is sold in the new Argos catalogue for around €120 (again I think- not having a catalogue to hand), so the UTV price is pretty good value.

Welll its comforting to know not getting ripped off

Their price includes P&P

However anyone thinking of ordering it online dont bother yet

They are having 'technical' difficulties' with their site. I rang them up to order but have to wait until the 'technical difficulties' are resolved