Utv router settings and IP address

sherib

I used to be able to access my Utv modem settings via IP address http://192.168.1.1/ (http://192.168.1.1) (if I'm describing it properly) but can't any more. It was handy if the connection went as I could check the settings and see whether or not the router was connected. Does anyone know why this has happened?

When I type cmd and then ipconfig the address comes up as 192.168.1.9 but typing that into IE browser makes no difference. I use the USB port on the Blaster router supplied by Utv and haven't changed anything. I tried to access it via Mozilla Firefox but that made no difference. Virus and Adaware scans are negative. Cleared history too. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Presumably you are talking about connecting to the Creative Blaster DSL modem/router's web based admin control panel usually accessible on http://192.168.1.1. What changed between when it worked and when it stopped working? I presume you mean that your PC has the IP address 192.168.1.9 which is most likely allocated dynamically (via DHCP)? There is no point in typing this (http://192.168.1.9) into your browser since this will simply attempt to connect to a web server on the local machine and, chances are, there is none there. Can you ping the router (ping 192.168.1.1 in a command shell)?

Yes, that's right. I haven't changed anything (that I recall) apart from installing Adobe Reader. I've made two attempts to do a System Restore but neither were possible - why is that? I was able to connect to the modem/router before going on hol on 6th Sept and only tried again a few days ago, so don't know when the change happened.
Can you ping the router (ping 192.168.1.1 in a command shell)?
Don't know how to do that - unless you could tell me how in simple language - I'm technologically challenged. Would running the Creative Blaster CD help? This post seems to describe much better what I should be able to do but can't.

Nothing happens when I type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. I get "The page cannot be displayed". Could Utv have changed something? I'm sure you're kept busy these days since the arrival of Bambino ClubJunior (many congrats) so if you haven't time to advise that's OK.

sherib said:
Don't know how to do that - unless you could tell me how in simple language - I'm technologically challenged. Would running the Creative Blaster CD help? This post seems to describe much better what I should be able to do but can't.
Start -> Run -> cmd.exe and type ping 192.168.1.1

Nothing happens when I type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. I get "The page cannot be displayed". Could Utv have changed something?
I doubt it.

Can you also please type ipconfig /all in a command shell/DOS box (as you did earlier except with /all appended) and post the output. To cut and paste the output from the command shell you may need to enable QuickEdit mode allowing you to select the text in the window, press return to copy it to the clipboard and then paste it into another window for posting here.

Here's the ping result - took a while to enable quick edit

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 2ms
Second test ipconfig /all:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : My name deleted & computer No. I think
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 7:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Creative Broadband Blaster DSL Route
r 8133U-C1 USB Network Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-EB-51-5E-A7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.9
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
*Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 October 2005 18:39:52
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 October 2005 18:39:52

* This date is probably because I've just run the Blaster CD - but it only instals the document details. When I checked the modem via Control Panel, the only Modem listed is Dell Data Fax Modem - but It has been like this since it was installed. Here is a small part of the log result:

07-10-2005 20:39:03.531 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdminst.dll, Version 5.1.2600
07-10-2005 20:39:03.531 - Modem type: Dell Data Fax Modem

Do either of these tests tell you anything? As a matter of interest, it was very difficult to instal the Blaster modem/router originally - took hours with Creative technical support. I think something to do with the fact the software wasn't submitted or approved by ? Microsoft causing a drivers problem - I think. Do you think I should just leave it alone? Only thing is, if the connection goes, I'll be stuck. It doesn't make sense not being able to connect to the modem/router's web based control panel (as you described it) or does it? BTW, thanks for your patience and advice.

Yes - looks good so far. Your router at 192.168.1.1 is set as your default gateway and DHCP server which is correct. Now type the following comman in a command shell and then press return a couple of times;

telnet 192.168.1.1 80

If things are working OK then you should see some HTML like the following:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: WindWeb/2.0
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html

Web Server Error Report:<HR>
<H1>Server Error: 400 Bad Request</H1>
<P><HR><H2>URL parsing error</H2><P><P><HR><H1></H1><P>

Connection to host lost.
If this works then the problem may with your browser configuration. What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Any chance you could try another one even temporarily (e.g. FireFox?) and if that works then you can look at diagnosing the problem with the normal browser? It may be that you are connecting through a proxy server but the browser is not configured to connect directly to local (e.g. 192.168.1.*) addresses.

Does any/all of that make sense to you?

Just read your post and this is the result:

Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed

I'm using Internet Explorer and have tried FireFox but no luck there either. You ask if I understand? Sort of, not really, since my diagnostic skills lie elsewhere. Does the above result tell you anything else?

I went to the Creative site and have downloaded a driver - but haven't installed it yet.
Creative Broadband Blaster DSL Router 8133U-C1 driver (version 1.3.3.0) (445.88 KB) 8 Jan 04

This download is the Broadband Blaster DSL Router 8133U-C1 driver. This driver is WHQL-certified for Microsoft® Windows® XP and Windows 2000
Should I take a chance and instal that driver? If the worst happens I could revert to dial-up - am not adverse to taking the odd chance to satisfy my curiosity . Even though the last laugh could be on me. On mature reflection, I'll wait and see what you think. (Haven't a notion about how to configure the browser).

sherib said:
Just read your post and this is the result:

Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed
That's odd - for some reason the browser cannot get a connection to the web server based control panel running on the router. Have you powered the router off and on again?

Failing that you may need to do a hard reset (I think there's a button on the back or bottom that needs to be pressed possibly with a paperclip or something like that) but this will reset the device to the factory default settings and you will need to reconfigure it from scratch. Only do this if you are comfortable that you can manage this.

Forget about browser reconfiguration for now as that doesn't seem to be relevant. The key issue is the inability to connect to the web server on the router. While installing a new driver might do now harm I don't think that it is relevant to this problem right now.

First thanks very much for all your help. I half expected you'd say what you did re the driver etc - irrelevant. I'm taking your advice and going to leave it for a while. I know where the reset button is on the back of the router. Don't suppose I have a real problem so far since I can connect? Will try again when I'm in the mood.

When examining the router I remembered that before going on holiday I unpluged everything from the main sockets. Do you think that may be the reason for this? I never do that normally but had read something on AAM about disconnecting the router. Didn't really apply to me using USB since the router light always goes out when the PC is powered off. You live and learn. Thanks again.

Sherib

No - I regularly plug my UTV Creative Blaster from the mains when not in use and this doesn't cause any problems. Any configuration options are stored in non volatile/persisteny Flash memory and are retained across power offs. The thing that I don't understand is why the web server that normally runs on the router to provide the configuration user interface is (a) not running or (b) not accessible - especially when the router seems to be working OK otherwise (e.g. you can ping it and it is obviously supplying your PC with network details - IP address etc. - via DHCP) given the output of ipconfig /all earlier. I'm a bit baffled to be honest...

So, unplugging wasn't the reason - curious. It's a pity I can't do a System Restore but I tried again and it didn't work. I'm a bit chary about doing a reset since I have to use the USB port (or is it connection) - no Ethernet card in the PC. The Ethernet port would be preferable from what I read here before. It really was a pain in the beginning as I kept loosing the connection and never knew whether it was due to Utv or something else. Then made some alteration in the WAN setting (as advised by Utv's technical support), so that the router always connected automatically and had no problem from then on - until now.

If you think of anything, please post. Thanks - a weary

The problem is solved and feeling a bit . Rang Utv'stechnical support. All I had to do was to clear the Internet Explorer address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 - no http or www. Lo and behold the log in box came up. I had spoken to the same chap before, Stewart by name, and can only give him the highest praise. He also said that the connection would be faster if I get the Ethernet card. I am sorry for taking up so much of ClubMan's time. BTW I would be interested in knowing how to interpret "pinging". Which figure is more important - time or TTL=64? Is a low TTL (what does that mean?) better than a higher one?

Still doesn't make sense that telnet 192.168.1.1 80 gave a connection error. Whatever about that http://192.168.1.1 works for me in FireFox. If you want to know more about ping and TTLs and the like then you will find more information than you can shake a stick at using Google. For example this Wikipedia article.