Utv Router and problems with Ftp & Ports

IrishGunner

Anyone get the router from Utv ?

I got it and I cannot ftp files up

Could previously when I had your standard Broadband

Checked with their customer service but might as well be talkign to a Babboon

I am trying to configure my settings

Checked on the website www.portforward.com but still no joy??

Thing is cannot get a static IP address all I am getting is 192.168.1.2
which I dont think is correct

Utv did give me their primary and secondary servers but still a bit lost
if I should change my Protocol settings on properties of the network connection

Is this to technical for this forum as it is for a noobie like me

The 192.168.1.2 ip address is the address that the router is giving you, its not the IP that UTV are giving you.

I dont have the UTV router, but can you open the router config page? If so you should be able to see the IP being assigned to it on one of the pages.

Routers are normally accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar. Id start there anyway. After that, start poking around the router admin pages to see if FTP rules have been enabled by default. Lots more to be said but try that first.

so If I go and find my IP address is this my Static IP address as need this to configure ports etc ?

Correct. But are you sure you will be granted a static IP address? If its for home use I know ISPs dont like committing to giving static IPs as it then implies that you may use it for business, which they dont like.

As it transpires, Id say you will get the same IP most of the time anyway, so Id say configure away, but at the first sign of trouble check the IP... hth..

Not sure if they know what a static IP is then again neither do I ??
Have to check with configurations and try and get it by trial & error as I cannot ftp anything

Thanks

see wikipedias explanation of a Static ip as opposed to a dynamic one where theyre assigned in a round robin fashion, ie, the first machine on to the DHCP server is assigned 1 the next is assigned 2 etc.
for static Utv would have to have a rule that says for Irishgunners router, always give IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, thats the basics of it anyway.

What FTP program are you using? Check if it supports PASSIVE mode - that should help. Otherwise you will need to reconfigure your router's firewall to proxy FTP.

downloaded smartftp and got it to work so now can upload files to server

Dont know what the problem is with Dreamweaver

No I have to figure out how to set up an ftp server??

you should be able to find something on [broken link removed] skip the sponsored links and either take something cheap or keep looking for freeware