Utv Clicksilver - Is USB port unstable

sherib

I only started using Clicksilver Plus in the past week and had to connect using the USB port since there was no slot on my computer for an Ethernet cable. It took hours to install the driver but got that sorted with help from Creative Blaster technical support. It worked OK until today when I found I couldn't connect to the internet. All the lights were normal on the router. After searching around found nothing was different. The "Local Area Connection 2" showed I was connected and the speed is 10.0 Mbps which I don't understand either!

After an hour or so it rectified itself. I'm wondering now if this is going to be an annoying feature in the future. A Utv technical support person told me last week that it was preferable to use the Ethernet connection - saying that was more stable. When I told him there was no slot for that cable on my computer he suggested I get an Ethernet Card and instal it but didn't say it was essential. I wouldn't be able to do that myself and wonder would that prevent this happening again? I don't understand how getting an Ethernet Card would magically provide a slot on the back of the processor. I would be grateful if someone could confirm that not being able to connect was due to using the USB port and will I have to get that Ethernet Card? Didn't have this problem when I used the eircom router.

usb dsl modems are notoriously unstable and hard to fix if they go wrong

Re: USB port unstable - would this solve it?

I found this on the www. Does it mean that instead of an Ethernet card I could get this adaptor, plug it into the back of the computer and thus convert it to an Ethernet socket? Utv included an Ethernet cable in the pack. If this would work it would save having to haul the PC to a shop to have an Ethernet card fitted.

USB to Ethernet Adaptor (10/100 Mb)
This adapter simply plugs in to the USB port to let your PC connect to your cable or DSL modem using RJ45. It also allows you to connect to any network(s) you may have to share files and peripherals with computers that are connected to the network.
Simple to set setup so you can add sharing resources in a matter of minutes.
Tonka confirmed the problem which I'd been warned about by Utv, now I have to find a solution. Does anyone know anything about this? Sadly this kind of technological tweaking isn't my field :eek:

This convertor would mean your computer 'sees' an ethernet modem and that solution could possibly work if the drivers are giving you grief .....because no new drivers are required if you already have a network card and because you bypass the unstable USB drivers on your system.

You could always buy an ethernet DSL modem and ask UTV for the settings .

Most competitors to UTV seem to supply a dual Ethernet/USB DSL modem.

tonka said:
You could always buy an ethernet DSL modem and ask UTV for the settings .

Most competitors to UTV seem to supply a dual Ethernet/USB DSL modem.

Just to say that the modem/router that UTV supplied to me was a dual Ethernet/USB one (until it went belly up last weekend) and I think it is the same for the original poster but they don't have an ethernet port on their PC. I would suggest biting the bullet and getting an ethernet connection.

My PC originally did not have one. They are simply plug and play devices where you open up your PC, and the ethernet 'card' slots into a vacant PCI slot. Either Google or your PC manual should tell you how to do it and it really is very very simple. I was nervous the first time I tried something like this but now it is second nature.

me bad tallpaul, never noticed that . a cheap smc network card is about €15 and will work fine in win 2000 or in xp .

Thanks to Tonka and Tallpaul for all that advice. I'd been looking at dual Ethernet/USB DSL modems on Google as recommented by Tonka - they seem to cost around £70+ Stg. But it's not very obvious how they differ from the one I have.

It was encouraging to read TallPaul's post since all of this (Cards, PCIs) is like a foreign language to me! Are you saying TP that getting an Ethernet card would be the solution? Did you get the same (Blaster) router from Utv as I did and why did it go "belly up"? Two cables came with the Blaster router - one for USB connection and an Ethernet cable, so what kind of a router is it? Is a dual modem different to Utv's Blaster modem?

Most competitors to UTV seem to supply a dual Ethernet/USB DSL modem
I'm confused now. If the modem Utv sent is in fact a dual Ethernet/USB DSL modem, do I only need to get an Ethernet card installed by someone? I have looked at sites with diagrams of an opened up OS but don't think I could trust myself to do that - too many screws! :confused:

PS What's an smc network card?

smc are cheap network cards. buy one, chuck it in the pc , chuck in the cd and you should be fine, about €15 for one.

then install utv software again, this time for ethernet and it will pcik up the card

You should have spare PCI slots on your machine if you have never added any hardware to the PC. Ethernet cards, like Tonka says, are very cheap; they even do them in Argos.

Yes my Creative blaster just stopped working (I'm sure that when I shook the modem/router hearing something rattling inside didn't help!!). In any event I reported the failed router. They asked to send it back and they would test it etc. Anyway, all credit to UTV customer service, a package arrived during the week with a replacement Creative!!! I haven't got round to returning the borked one yet so that is pretty good.

Sherib: the UTV router is a dual one as it allows connection by USB or ethernet. You are correct to say that to connect your modem/router to your PC, all you need is the ethernet card.

1. Make sure you are static free
2. Open the PC case (no big deal)
3. Unscrew the (usually) metal back plate linked to the PCI slot (easy)
4. Insert PCI ethernet card into the slot and push down firmly.
5. Close PC case
6. Switch on

et voila!!! Modem connected via ethernet to PC. Happy surfing.

Thanks a mill for that post tallpaul - IT for amateurs! You answered my questions which was great. The connection went again, all lights on but no one at home. Having read utv's FAQs, it seemed to me the problem may be none recognition of the drivers? Eventually I did what Creative Blaster people did, deleted the two USB Root Hubs in Device Manager and, with the CD, they were recognised and reinstalled. I also used the dial-up connection to bring up utv's IP address so can't be certain which action solved the problem.

Here's a link from utv's FAQ which may explain the problem. It says you may need to log in again if your computer has been turned off and your broadband modem is powered by the USB port. If the modem I have is also a router (Idon't know) this is not relevant.
http://www.utvinternet.com/support/ans.asp?id=179&category=broadband&region=ie

Another FAQ answer may also apply though I use XP and Windows 2000 which would negate that. I'd be interested to know what you think.
http://www.utvinternet.com/support/ans.asp?id=463&category=broadband&region=ie

Utv also explain why they no longer use the ZyXel modem because of Hyper-Threading issues.
http://www.utvinternet.com/support/ans.asp?id=469&category=broadband&region=ie

Have no idea whether my system (P4) utilises that technology and wonder if they only send out the Creative Blaster modem now?

Something of interest. Utv's technical support, who tried to help but couldn't, told me that if I used the Ethernet connection, "it" would be ten times faster. I do think connection is not very fast now compared to eircom's modem.

Last, but not least, I'll have to psych myself up to install that Ethernet card without electrocuting myself. A touch ham-fisted! The local tech shop would charge 75 euro to install it plus VAT. The card costs 15 euro+VAT. Big deal, they'd only charge 75 euro plus VAT! All that to run a test. No way.

How do I ensure I'm static free? Very grateful - thanks again.

PS When I do the Blaster Diagnostic Test it only mentions testing Ethernet Lan connection. Nothing about USB.

sherib said:
Here's a link from utv's FAQ which may explain the problem. It says you may need to log in again if your computer has been turned off and your broadband modem is powered by the USB port. If the modem I have is also a router (Idon't know) this is not relevant.
http://www.utvinternet.com/support/ans.asp?id=179&category=broadband&region=ie

I don't think this is relevant this refers to a situation where you have a router and a modem which does not seem to be your case, anyway a router would use Ethernet not USB.

sherib said:
Utv also explain why they no longer use the ZyXel modem because of Hyper-Threading issues.
http://www.utvinternet.com/support/ans.asp?id=469&category=broadband&region=ie

Have no idea whether my system (P4) utilises that technology and wonder if they only send out the Creative Blaster modem now?

It is possible to switch hyper threading off though you may lose a little CPU performance, however as few programs are optimised for hyper threading some reviews I've seen question if you get much extra performance right now anyway.

sherib said:
Something of interest. Utv's technical support, who tried to help but couldn't, told me that if I used the Ethernet connection, "it" would be ten times faster. I do think connection is not very fast now compared to eircom's modem.

Sounds fishy to me. I believe in theory if your USB is 1.1 it would run at 12Mbps and Ethernet is 10/100MBps so Ethernet 100 is almost 10 times faster, but your broadband connection is likely 1Mbps or at tops 2Mbps based on current product offerings so it is the limiting factor anway.

sherib said:
Last, but not least, I'll have to psych myself up to install that Ethernet card without electrocuting myself. A touch ham-fisted! The local tech shop would charge 75 euro to install it plus VAT. The card costs 15 euro+VAT. Big deal, they'd only charge 75 euro plus VAT! All that to run a test. No way.

How do I ensure I'm static free? Very grateful - thanks again.

It is scary first time you do it but adding cards is quite straightforward. As for electrocution just make sure the PC is plugged out (although as long as the power unit remains sealed which you will not need to go near, the motherboard only gets low voltages anyway, however you could damage the PC if it was on) There is some sort of wrist strap thing you can get for static but I never bother and have yet to to damage. Before you start you can touch something grounded to discharge any static in your body.

I also see in the FAQ at one point they call the Zyxel a router, however it seems to be just a USB ADSL modem, this is a little careless and causes undue confusion for newcomers.

dam099 said:
There is some sort of wrist strap thing you can get for static but I never bother and have yet to to damage. Before you start you can touch something grounded to discharge any static in your body.

I agree. I have added things on wooden floorboards as opposed to on carpets, so the risk of static is greatly reduced. I never bothered with the wrist strap thingie either...

Thanks again both. Don't want to be pedantic but Utv also call the Creative Blaster "box" a router - which is it or is it a combined router cum modem?

Utv's FAQs]
We have identified issues with HT and our Zyxel Router however we now ship a Creative Blaster router which overcomes this issue

TallPaul has Creative Blaster too and he calls it a modem/router.

Utv did say it would be better to connect with the Ethernet cable but I had to use the USB cable until I get that Ethernet card. There must be a reason why B'band became unavailable (broke down) twice in ten days and the most obvious reason (to an amateur) suggests it's due to using USB to connect. What do you experts think?

I still think it is very strange that I only got it to function again after I deleted the USB Root Hubs and ran the CD again. It literally took hours of C.B. tech support to get the drivers installed/recognised on day one. Have to say I'm really curious about this and wonder if there's anyone else using the USB cable to connect Blaster and did they have any problem. To be on the safe side, I'm continuing to log onto Utv's IP address after the computer has been turned off. It'll be interesting to see the difference when I get that Ethernet card. I very much appreciate all this advice and interest. :)

Whats the model number on the Creative Blaster and I'll google and see if I can tell.

I would say if it only has one ethernet port and no antenna (for WiFi) it is likely not a router. Most WiFi routers I have seen have at least 4 ethernet ports as well. Unless you are trying to connect more than one PC whether it is also a router is a bit academic anyway. The FAQ piece about the router is only referring to the always on aspect. With certain ISP setups for ADSL modems you have to log in if you powered down your PC or after 24 hours (many ISPs kick you off momentarily to change your IP address). This log in is very fast and if you use Windows can be set up to automatically occur any time you need the internet and are not already logged in. If you are using a router your user name and password are entered into the router and it automatically logs you in and keeps you logged in therefore even if you power down your PC you don’t have to log on to your ISP again.

Back