UTV Broadband Pricing Issues

N

njprrogers

I've just gone to move my broadband and phone service over to Magnet from UTV.

When I signed up to UTV 3 years ago you were penalised for breaking the contract in the first 12 months. After that period, there was no charge.

Also, the modem was included in the set up fee of €29.99.

When contacted to switch, I was told that I would have to give pay for 30 days after giving notice - even if it only took 7 days to switch.
(A Nice little earner, that).
Also, I would have to return the modem within 7 days or face a charge.
(A Nice little earner, that).

So, I go to their website and find that they have reduced their premium broadband from €39.99 to €23.99 since February and increased their speeds to 7.6 mb from 3mb.

But, and you'll love this, existing customers were not informed of the tariff change and are continuing to pay €39.99 for the 3mb.

They don't seem to have a problem changing terms and conditions when they want add a new fee, just when it suits them not to reduce a customers tariff.

So, my advice is that if you are an existing UTV customer you should contact them and get them to switch you to the lower fee for the higher speed.

And please, if you do so, send a mail to their complaints department.

This was previously discussed in this thread. See the last few posts for the tariff changes in Feb this year.

I have been with UTV clicksilver for about 3-4 years, and in their defence, they did call me last December and offer me a new deal increasing from 1MB to 3MB speed while increasing my monthly payment from around €29.99 to €32.99 a month. I gladly accepted.

Well I moved house this summer, and was hit with a bill for my 3yr old Zytel? modem @ €29.99 and €72.99 for the disconnection charge. I complained that as a customer of 3-4yrs how could I be penalised for terminating? What I didn't realise was that this better deal meant that I was effectively starting a new 12 month contract, which if I broke would be penalised for.

So do ask about better deals from time to time, and beware you may be entering into a fresh 12 month contract.

Back