UTV Broadband - ordered 2MB getting 8MB

CN624

I got reconnected to utv broadband and the connection speed is intermittently switching from 2Mbps to 8 Mbps.
Only problem is that when it goes to 8Mbps I'm unable to connect to any pages. The browser returns a 'Cannot connect to page' error.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?
I'm based in south Dublin if that helps identify an area specific problem.

CN624 said:
I got reconnected to utv broadband and the connection speed is intermittently switching from 2Mbps to 8 Mbps.
Where are you seeing this speed?

It's displayed in the connection icon in the bottom right of my task bar.

Isn't that your wireless or wired LAN connection speed and not your actual ADSL broadband speed? The latter will be displayed on your ADSL router's (usually web based) admin interface. If your LAN card speed keeps jumping around then you may have driver or connection problems (especially with wireless). UTV ADSL is 3MBps at most and usually less since contention ratio, protocol overhead etc. eats into the raw nominal bandwidth. I don't think that your broadband is the problem here but rather your LAN connection setup.

sounds like you need to contact support.

Have you tried reseting the adsl modem?
Have you looked at the diagnostics on the model configuration page, usually a web page to local ip :http://127.0.0.1 but varies with each modem.
But ultimately best to contact utv support, there may be a problem at their end.

I'll have a look at the settings and see if that sorts it, if not I'll give support a call.

Cheers.

SirOurs said:
sounds like you need to contact support.

Have you tried reseting the adsl modem?
I disagree - I suspect that the speed in question applies to the LAN connection and it rather than ADSL connection is causing problems. A combination of test pings and tracerts might help in diagnosing problems as might any system or LAN card diagnostic utilities that the manufacturer makes available for download - e.g. Dell do pretty good basic and detailed system test utilities for their PCs.

it is true that usually the windows reported speed is just the LAN but 8MB is a strange speed for a LAN connection, they're usually 10/100/1000 MB speeds. It is best to ignore this speed.
The diagnostics on the modem will report the connection speed accurately.

The reason why i say to contact support if all your attempts fail is due to you not being able to browse the network.
Usually this happens when the ADSL modem drops the connection and a reset will usually fix this.
Although it really depends on your setup.

Good luck!

Some LAN adaptors (e.g. especially USB connected ones) operate at 8Mbps or less.

Got sorted.
I had a microfilter on the phone point connecting to the pc but none on the main phone point. Once I hooked up the microfilter I got a steady 2MB and no problems.

Are you saying that use of the phone/landline was interfering with the broadband? Can you explain the 8Mbps issue? What sort of network card do you use and how to you connect to the router (e.g. wired directly or via wireless)?

Thats what it would appear.
The pc is directly connected to a phone line. Not sure about network card or other hardware.

Since I added the microfilter to the main phone connection in the house its been working perfectly. The connection icon (LAN) is showing a constant 2MB. (I realise that you don't think this is the ADSL connection speed)

"Some LAN adaptors (e.g. especially USB connected ones) operate at 8Mbps or less."

Just throwing this one out there, is it possible that the max broadband connection is 8MB+ (it was showing 8.1mb ) and this was causing a problem for the LAN adaptor?

The box that plugs into the phone line -- how is that connected to your PC? It's possible you have a USB ADSL modem, rather than an ADSL router.

CN624 said:
Just throwing this one out there, is it possible that the max broadband connection is 8MB+ (it was showing 8.1mb ) and this was causing a problem for the LAN adaptor?
UTV's max rate is 3Mbps so this is not an issue. Note that broadband rates will almost always be the bottleneck in any communications setup - e.g. 10/100/100Base-T network connections operate at 10/100/1000Mbps, 802.11a/b/g network connections operate at 54/11/54Mbps and so on whereas home broadband will normally be at most 4Mbps these days.

As above - can you clarify exactly how your PC is connected to the phone line? There must be an ADSL modem/router somewhere in the picture. Is there any sort of box between the PC and the phone line?

The fact that the speed windows is reporting has dropped to 2Mb seems to me that it might be a USB ADSL modem and not router.

Also, from the UTV FAQ they list it as a: Creative Broadband Blaster 8133U DSL Modem.