Utv broadband being disconnected

demoivre

Lately my UTV broadband is being disconnected when the phone receiver is lifted to answer an incoming call - I can reconnect during the call. However the same applies when the receiver is replaced to end the call. Methinks there may have been an inadvertent change to my settings but I'm hoping one of you folks might have the answer.

Have you got the [broken link removed] supplied by the broadband service provider installed as recommended in order to use ADSL broadband and voice services simultaneously?

I have had broadband for the past year without this problem so I am sure my filters/splitters are set up ok.

I have no splitters/filters at all installed and mine works OK - but if I encountered any problems that would be the first thing that I would check.

Did a check on the splitters/filters Clubman and discovered what the problem was - the missus was the problem as she moved a phone without moving the splitter/filter ( we have several phone points around the house).
Out of curiosity how come you don't have to use splitters/ filters? I thought they were an integral part of the system.

The requirement for the filters are driven by the other equipment plugged in to the line and not the DSL equipment itself. Some (older) telecomms equipment are not designed to work with the higher frequencies on the lines that carry the DSL traffice, and so can cause reflections back on to the line which effects your connection. If a given piece of equipment does this you'll have to have a filter on it, if not you'll get away without one.

Thanks for that Dearg Doom and Clubman for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm using a Panasonic KX-TCD950 DECT cordless phone on one connection and broadband on another with no ADSL splitters or filters and the two don't interefere with each other. I didn't know why but Dearg Doom's explanation seems to make sense. Except that the cordless phone in question is a good few years old now.