UTV Broadband and moving house

CCOVICH

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the following scenario.

We currently have broadband and phone through UTV. We now pay our line rental to UTV, i.e. we are not billed separately by Eircom.

We intend moving house soon-presumably to a house that is already connected to an Eircom line.

Anyone know what process we will have to go through-apply for Eircom service, or if the line is active, can we just have our UTV service transferred directly?

You going to need to watch this one. I moved house (only down the road) but UTV wouldnt let me transfer over, had to pay out my full years contact and then go else where for my broadband. Which needless to say Eircom where only too happy to sort.

Thanks-but I have already been with UTV for over 12 months, and my line rental payments are now to UTV-so I'm not sure if I'll be breaking any contract?

From their ts and cs

The 'Minimum Period' is 6 months, so I'm ok in that score.

But it looks like a €29.99 charge (the cancellation charge after the 6 month period) to move to another premises, and possibly a connection charge at the other end (free connection may only be available if the line has not been connected to a broadband service before AFAIK.

Does anyone know when this €29.99 cancellation charge came about ? I have been with UTV for over a year and I don't remember mention of this when I signed up.

The Ts and Cs may have been different when you signed up-they are archived on the site AFAIK.

I did this last Septemebr and wasn't charged a thing. I had been with UTV for about 6 months rang up and told them I was moving but that I wanted to stay with them. I had to send an email to movinghouse@u.tv with my details and the date I wanted to be disconnected. I had to then register with Eircom to get my new account number and phone number and then email this to the same utv address. Unfortunately I had to wait about a month for the whole change over process to take place again - but no fees incurred at all!

Thanks-that's exactly what I needed to know.

I felt that there would be a delay in getting an Eircom account number etc.

I wonder could the process be speeded up by getting the current owners to transfer the account to our name (if they agree), or can we just transfer our existing account (I'm pretty sure we won't be able to keep our number).

Not sure about this - You need to check if where you are moving to falls within the same telephone exchange in which case you may be able to keep your old number. Don't know how flexible Eircom are about transferring accounts - you can always ask.

It might be worth checking if the new house does have a phone line in place there will be no charge - if not then you'll have to apply for connection, etc etc, with the appropiate fee of course

You should be able to keep your old number as busybee said, if connected to the same exchange; if not they'll give you a new one.

From the [broken link removed] regarding connection costs:

I'd say it will be an in-situ line, I doubt I can keep the number-both 01 prefix-but North Dublin v. Kildare.

Thanks for all the replies.