UTV bb cancellation fee.

demoivre

Have UTV introduced a cancellation fee? At the end of the homepage [broken link removed] they include cancellation terms that I have never noticed before - they are not mentioned in section 16 of the T & C's.
When I enquired about cancelling in August I was told I would have to pay € 29.99 because I had not completed a full year ( excluding the trial period ). Seems to me these cancellation terms have recently been added - can anyone confirm ?

I thought that there was always a cancellation fee for early termination of an annual contract?

I have a feeling that a cancellation fee would have been payable, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did chnage their ts and cs, as they recently decided to waive the installation charge, but charge for the 4th month (i.e. if you kept UTV after the 3 month trial, the 4th month was also free).

I expected to pay a cancellation fee within the first year - cancel in August and pay for Sep. to complete the year - no probs there. But in the T & C's it says
( I have only pasted the relevant bit )

16. TERM AND TERMINATION

16.1 This Agreement may be terminated as follows and the cancellation provisions of the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (the "Distance Selling Regulations") will not apply to the Service:

16.1.1 by either of us on 28 days notice, unless we terminate pursuant to Clauses 2.7 and 2.8 without notice;

There is no mention of "cancellation terms" after one year, which now applies to me, other than what's in 16.1.1 above - these seem to have been introduced seperately on the home page as I posted in the op . When I spoke to a Utv guy in August he specifically said the cancellation fee was because I hadn't completed the year ( ie hadn't fulfilled my part of the contract - which is fair enough ). Seems odd to me .

I wrote elsewhere that I wondered if by signing up to the new contract being offered by Utv (CSPlus going from €45 to €39.99) there could be a catch somewhere. My recollection is that there was no cancellation fee if one remained with Utv for 12 months and then cancelled with a months notice - the Ts&Cs last June.

I found the new Ts&Cs very unclear. Fair enough having to pay a cancellation after 6 months but it wasn't explicitedly stated that there would be no fee if cancelling after 12 months. I'll have another look but maybe a phone call might be best. If that is the case, maybe the €4.01/month will be made up by introducing a cancellation fee? I don't think Utv would be that mean but I'm going to check it out.