Utility Room- Integrate Applicances?

E

eirrek2005

Hi there
Hoping you can help me on a quick one, in the process of completing a new build, and need to start tackling the utility room i put on the long finger.

Good sized room in which i was hoping to put in tall cabinet (to house brushes, ironing boards etc), washer, dryer, and seperate double cabinet for holding linen bins etc.

My question is about the washer and drier, would you simply put a worktop over these or house them in the cabinets?

Would it work out significantly more expensive integrate them?

Many thanks!

Eirrek.

As they are in a seperate utility I wouldnt integrate- just leave the space and put counter over. If you need to replace in future you won't need to worry so much about size etc.

One of my pet hates is to see appliances poking out from nicely finished cabinetry (its a personal thing).

If you want to go integrated you will need to buy integrateable appliances where the cabinet furniture is mounted to or in front of the appliances. Unlike integrated fridges / dish-washers, the integrated washers and driers I have seen live behind cabinet doors mounted on the cabinetry.

It shouldn't cost any more and IMHO looks much better.

i also consdiered this as felt that if we did have to replace appliances down the line it would be better not to integrate

integrated appliances generally cost more and have far less in the range. If you go to an electrical store and check out the energy ratings etc and extras you will find that the free standing ones have far more to choose from and will also be cheaper (usually).

Got integrated appliances about 14 years ago but never again. We had to replace our dishwasher this week and it cost about €200 extra as compared to a free standing one. We also had the additional workload of fitting the semi integrated door as well. Our fridge and freezer doors are slightly off, due to the extra weight of the skin on the door. This causes our freezer to have a build up of ice on the inside. Stay away.

The ideal would be to get the cabinetry made so you can sit standard, non-integrated appliances behind cabinet doors. The only real difference to standard cabinet layout is that you might need a slightly deeper worktop than normal, but these are widely available.
Leo

My question is about the washer and drier, would you simply put a worktop over these
That's what I have done, there are standard cabinets either side of the washer and drier, and worktop is over the lot. I will probably have to change the washing machine in the not too distant future and am glad I don't have to worry about what to get in terms of it fitting or integrating.

The ideal would be to get the cabinetry made so you can sit standard, non-integrated appliances behind cabinet doors.
If you're lazy like me though, you'll find it a pain to have to open 2 doors each time you want to get at the washing machine or drier!

If you're lazy like me though, you'll find it a pain to have to open 2 doors each time you want to get at the washing machine or drier!

Good point actually, guess you have to balance laziness/ asthetics.
Leo

Back