Utility Bills and credit cards

S

sluice44

Someone in the past posted about how to pay their utility bills by 'direct debit' on their credit card. I'd like to pay mine using AMEX blue for the cashback reward.

I've searched for the post but I can't find it. Can anyone help find it or repost how they set up a 'direct debit' on their credit card for the utility bills.

Thanks
Sluice

There is no master way of doing it.

If ESB allows (don't know, but I am about to open my Amex Blue and will be finding out soon) then you just fill out their DD form and fill in the credit card details. If they don't allow it, then it will be clear from their form.

You don't fill out a credit card direct debit form, just a direct debit form which happens to include a space for credit card details. If you know what I mean.

Same goes for gas, etc . . . just depends on their form and policy.

z

Hi Sluice,
I pay my Bord Gais bill by Amex Blue. I think Rainyday set up a direct debit, but I have never managed to do this. I usually phone their helpline and pay by credit card over the phone.

I also pay my annual car tax this way by post and have just paid a parking ticket this way too (but don't tell Rainyday, please!)

I pay my Vodafone bill with Visa, as they have refused Amex in the past.

Marion recently taught me how to use Amex Blue to buy drink :eek so it's the slippery slope from now on...the more I drink, the more I save!

tedd

You can also pay o2 bills by direct debit to Amex Blue

I presume that people here who pay utility bills and other regular outgoings with the CC do so simply as a cashflow management measure and clear the bill at the end of the month?

I bank with AIB so I am charged on my current account transactions (but I am very dependent on a good internet banking service, which is why I stick with them). So I pay as much as possible on Amex to minimise the number of transactions and to reduce cash withdrawals. I always pay it off completely every month. (It makes no sense otherwise)

Fair enough - it's just that, in the past, most people I met who paid regular purchases and utility bills by CC tended to be worryingly in debt!

Amex blue & Bord Gais/O2...?!?

Tedd & Rainyday,

I have substantial-ish monthly bills with both of these, and would of course dearly love to charge them both to my Amex blue (whatever about the oul' drink...! ;) )

I rang both accounts departments to arrange a switchover from my DD via MC, and O2 told me a flat 'no'. The young wan I got at Bord Gais, on the other hand, said 'yeah, sure, whatever...', and took all my details. Six months later, I got a 'phone call from them saying that my account had remained unpaid for six months and that I now needed to make an upfront payment of €500+ in order not to be disconnected. I protested the 'but you told me Amex was OK' line and they said no, very sorry but there must have been some misunderstanding, they didn't take Amex. As it happened, I had enough of a surplus balance at the time and siad yeah, charge it to the MC a/c. Afterwards, though I emailed their customer services and pointed out both the inconvenience to me of having to suddenly pay a lump sum of €500 and the cashback value I'd lost out on, and in fairness they apologised and applied a €10 credit to my account...

But now, from what you're telling me — and I know better than to doubt you guys on these matters (crawl, crawl, "we're not worthy", etc....! ;) ) — I was right in the first place..?

Goddammit, I'm gonna chew the face off some poor young (underpaid, under-appreciated, under-skilled) telesales operative tomorrow! Al Pacino, move right over there, paesano...!

(Only kiddin'... I'm a big man, for 5'9", when I've a couple glasses of Christmas cheer inside me...)

Happy Chrimbo to one 'n' all (unless you happen to work in the accounts departments of Bord Gais/O2...)

Dr. M.

me again...

Just re-reading my own post there...

God, I'm a terrible man for the ol' winky smilies when i've a drink on me!

Must learn some new ones....

;)

Sh1t, there I go again............!

Re: me again...

Hi Dr M - [broken link removed] confirms that you can pay your bill by DD to Amex.

Bord Gais do seem to get a bit confused from time a time. I had a strange encounter with their accounts dept some time back, where they discovered that despite the fact that they had been hitting my Amex account with the correct amount each month, they had 'lost' the link between my Amex card and my Bord Gais account. Strange, but they seemed to get it sorted. I confirm that they are definitely charging my bi-monthly bill to Amex. I'd suggest you get them to send out a DD mandate and you simply fill it in with your Amex details & see what happens.

Amex/O2

Thanks, Rainyday,

Their website has been updated since the last time I looked, and I'll get in touch with then (civilly!) on the 'non...

Do you not think you & I should be in our beds by now (since we're obviously not whooping it up "down pub"...?)

Must be getting old, or something... ;)
(Dammit to hell, I really have to stop that... sigh!)

Dr. M.

winky smilies.......

Don't suppose anyone can suggest a good "support group"...?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ah, This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, time for bed! G'night all........

;) (for luck..........)

Back