Usually Lanzarote but want to try Tenerife

gramlab

Have been to Lanzarote and Gran Canaria a few times but wondered about Tenerife. Going from Cork so direct flights leave only Lanzarote or Tenerife. I like Lanzarote but wouldn't mind a change. Lots of info and positive reviews about Lanzarote but not nowhere near as much for Tenerife.

Would be going with 2 young children at the start of December, so not looking for a lively spot, just something with a good few resteraunts, a beach close by and the option of a walk or short taxi to a lively area.

Any ideas or recommendations, or should I just stick with what I know?

Thanks

Travel to Lanzarote regularly but tried Tenerife last January for a change. While it was ok I definately think lanzarote is a far nicer island or maybe it's just one gets comfortable with what they know. Lanzarote has a more family feel to it and I personally think its a more homely island to visit.

I haven't been to Tenerife but I have heard through the grapevine that Lanzorte is the nicer island to visit.

Hve been to both with young family, The North of Tenerife up outside Puerta de la Cruz was much nicer than Costa Teguise in Lanzarote. No beaches but great public pools down at the waterfront and character filled towns and villages. Advantage of Costa Teguise was it was more set up for the kids.

Hi,
A little off topic but I went to Majorca last year. Stayed all inclusive in the Corfu/Skorpios outside Cala D'or. Have to say it was the best holiday I've ever been on. Food was great, hotel on the beach so you can get drinks from bar and bring them down. Entertainment great for kids, I have a two year old. I can honestly say that in 20 years of going on holidays it's the only place I'll go back to this year.

Booked through Alpharooms. Had no problems am not connected.

I've been to Lanzarote 3 times and done all the usual tours etc. I like it and the kids were there last year with us so I know they would be happy there again. We were considering Tenerife as an option just to see and do something a bit different.
If I can't find much in the way of positive reviews I'll probably just play it safe and go back to Lanzarote.

Not sure if I could sit through Rancho Texas for a third time though:(

Hi,
A little off topic but I went to Majorca last year. Stayed all inclusive in the Corfu/Skorpios outside Cala D'or. Have to say it was the best holiday I've ever been on. Food was great, hotel on the beach so you can get drinks from bar and bring them down. Entertainment great for kids, I have a two year old. I can honestly say that in 20 years of going on holidays it's the only place I'll go back to this year.

Booked through Alpharooms. Had no problems am not connected.

I've been to Majorca twice and it was great, especially for kids but I wouldn't really consider it for a December holiday.

Tenerife is wonderful for Winter holiday. The weather tends to be a bit better than the other two islands because it is more sheltered. The resort Los Cristionas is beautiful and very family friendly. Lots of excellent restaurants at all types of prices, michelin 2* included. Plus 3 course for €9.99 best value. All in Los CRistionas.
Well worth a try. Stay near the front best as no uphill for children.
Beautiful long promenade walks up to 4 miles.
Try tripadvisor for excellent apartments to let, some irish owned. Usual cost 2 bed for €320. beautifully equipped, private apartments have lots of extras, all conveniences including washing machine for childrens clothes.
Skip Los Americas. Lots to do on the island and lots of Irish people too.
enjoy Browtal

Agree with browtal, tenerife is really lovely to visit. Much cheaper than lanzarote too. Have been to all three islands and even though we visit lanzarote more frequently, i would go back to tenerife again, I would also recommend Los Cristianos, its a lovely area with lovely promenade and plenty of restaurants to choose from.

Avoid Playa Las Americas especially at night time but its fine by day, it can also be quite annoying with the time share scratch ticket holders on every corner. But overall the island is lovely. Great for kids and shopping is great too.

Want to book this week so had almost settled on Lanzarote again but after the posts I'll have another look at Tenerife.

Thanks

Just back from Tenerife, nice place - will go back. Stayed in Puerto de Santiago/Los Gigantes in Barcelo Santiago hotel. Beautiful location but perhaps a little quiet for your requirements, Los Cristianos as prev recommended may fit the bill better for you.
Saturday Ryanair flights from Shannon are very handy!
Would recommend a visit to Loro Park (Zoo) in Puerta de La Cruz. There's a big water park near Los Cristianos too. Mount Teide mountain/cable car is a fascinating volcanic area. La Laguna old town has an old world colonial feel about it.

Went for the safe option in the end and booked Floresta Apts in P del Carmen Lanzarote. Been there before and know its good.

Thanks for the advice

Back