USIT-do J1ers have to book their flights with them?

T

Teg Veece

I'm heading over to the states this summer on an intership visa through USIT. My girlfriend is flying out too mid summer on a J1 and we're both planning on getting the same flight back.

I paid my deposit and the USIT handling fees (about €750 altogether) and had only my flights left to pay for. I noticed that they were a good €100 euro cheaper on line so I rang USIT (3 times!) to confirm that it was ok to go ahead and book them seperately. On all three occasions I was informed that that was fine but that if I wished to change the date of the flights, USIT couldn't help me. Fair enough.
I was also informed that J1 users must book through USIT so I checked that it would be possible for my girlfriend to pick the same aer lingus flight home as me and I was told that there would be no problem with that.

One week later, after booking my flights online, I get a call from USIT telling me I need to sort out my flights. I told them that it was already done and dusted to which they replied that I had to book my flights through them! After a looong argument, they agreed to allow me keep my flights but I had to pay them €40... I have no idea what for.

But then my girlfriend goes into USIT to book her flights and she's told that they no longer book flights with Aer Lingus and that she has no choice but to go with BA meaning, not only an extra €100+ onto the flights but also we can't get the same flights home.

Why can you book your flights separately with SAYIT but not with USIT? I would change to SAYIT but we've paid too much money at this stage to do so.

Any advice from anyone?

Back