Using Revolut v Aib card contactless in UK

Roro999

My son is on erasmus in UK shortly for 20 weeks.

Is it cheaper to contactless tap using Revolut card or AIB card ?

He has a student AIB account with no quarterly fees.

It should be.
The forex charges on Revolut are much lower.
And there no fees with Revolut either.

If he needs money in a hurry, Revolut is probably faster and easier as well.

Brendan

Curve card is another option, good exchange rates, no faffing around topping up. The converse to that is that you can't "lock-in" rates by making up front conversions.

Revolut add an additional margin if you convert currency on the weekends (out of hours), something to bear in mind.

Thanks. On a related note are there charges withdrawing sterling from ATM's in UK from an Irish AIB euro account. Any tips appreciated on how to deal with day to day exps?

Money guide Ireland tells you the best card for ATM and taps in non euro which is UK. Revelut have a limit of 200 per month and this further link shows you how much all cards cost for atm withdrawels. My advice would be to use the revelut everywhere and take 200 per month cash as petty cash for emergencies. Just add euro to revelut, exchange the euro to sterling in the revelut app during working hours and tap the bejaysus out of it. Take 200 out every 31 days

Edit: Links to MGI are not allowed due to a spammer in the past

Have a slightly different question - but also looking into the best card option to use abroad.

N26, Revolut and Curve all look like good options for point of sale transactions - however I don’t really see a good option for withdrawing cash. All the above companies are capped at €200 per month. I will be travelling to a number of developing countries where I imagine cash will be used for most transactions

Revolut metal increases this limit to €800 per month but not sure but not sure if it is worth it considering the monthly fees.

So essentially my question is - is there any option to withdraw more than 200 at a very good rate with any of these companies for free?

Last edited by a moderator:
My take on developing countries is that a little cash goes a long way and the safety of having to pay 2% withdrawel is good value against robbery and currency movement. Bring enough in to get you by and then worry about withdrawels. You don't want to end up with loads of money coming out.

1 )Do you pay Irish government yearly stamp duty on a physical Revolut card ( costs about 8 approx i am told for delivery ) . If none then a clear winner .

2) Another plus is if use a referral code fir a physical Revolut card the referrer gets a reward ( 60 I believe). Has anybody done this and does the reward work ?