Using Phone as Satnav Offline

S

smokey

I need to replace my phone & am considering phone with Satnav app. Trouble is phone shops tell me I'll be charged for internet usage while using phone. On Internet it appears that there are apps that I can use with downloaded maps, but not clear if I'm to be charged for data on a voice 'turn-by-turn' app. Vodaphone tell me Nokia system needs to be on internet although I have heard people say that's not the case. Any advice or recounting of experience happily accepted!

Nokia phones have the best sat nav and you dont need to be on the internet as long as you switch off the "GPS assisted" option. I have being using it on my nokia n97 mini for the last year including in Italy with no data package and have not been charged. Its a really good sat nav. Actually the guy in the vodafone shop also told me i would need internet access???? not the case

Thanks Venice. Do you have 'turn-by-turn' voice instructions? Did you need to have/do any add-ons to get the facility?

Yes, nokia comes with a map loader app for your PC.
You can select the maps & languages/voices, down load them using your PC internet connection, then synch with your phone.
Might be worth investing in a larger memory card. My phone "only" came with 1GB

Question from ignorance Tiger - what memory capacity would I need for Ireland, UK, Spain & France?

Do you have 'turn-by-turn' voice instructions? Did you need to have/do any add-ons to get the facility?

Yes. As far as i can remember it came with Ireland and England maps and I needed to download Italy and Croatia through my PC. Cant remember space been an issue but i think all new phones come with ample room.

Thanks again Venice. I'll go to another phone shop armed with this info!

Question from ignorance Tiger - what memory capacity would I need for Ireland, UK, Spain & France?
1GB probably not enough. 4GB might be, but you can get 8GB for less than a tenner, e.g.
[broken link removed]=
The maps application tells you the size as you choose them

Back