Using MP3 + Portable Speakers At Wedding

BobbyFowler

We're having a wedding abroad next year.
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk...b/personal_tech/test_bench/article2192254.ece
I was considering buying the new Creative Zen Player or the Ipod Classic and putting some money into a decent set of portable speakers (along the lines of the link above) The idea would be that rather than paying some punter 600-800 Euro to play dodgy tunes for the wedding that I'd be able to load on some decent tunes & hopefully have a decent sound system in place. There's be no more than 60-80 at the wedding so it doesn't need to be the Electric Picnic. At the same time I don't want really "tinny" type music & reckon there'll be enough people who'll be dancing at some stage. The Harman Kardon Speakers in the link seem to be the business - if I go for these it seems as if it's preferable to go for the Ipod though. Any advice on whether this is the way to go & any particular model of speaker/mp3 I should go for?

I was going on the part of the review of the Harman Kardon Speaker....

"Sound quality flattened its rivals, including Apple’s iPod Hi-Fi (not reviewed). Four speakers delivered sledgehammer R&B bass or silky jazz with equal aplomb and no distortion, even at the top, garden-filling volume. "

That sounds okay to me??

Very subjective description. I would not bank on this to suffice for a wedding unless it's just a few mates (in a garden perhaps). And if you need to turn the volume up full blast you might just knacker the speakers before the night is out. I'd agree with the suggestion of a proper PA.

as above poster, room full of 60-80 people will require 2 x 200w+ PA purpose speakers.

You may be able to rent from the hotel or they may be able to recommend someone who can deliver to the hotel to you for the night.

Do not underestimate how weak home audio speakers of any make or type, for mp3 player or stereo, will sound in a room full of 60-80 people. You will turn up the speakers all the way to try and make them as loud as possible. They wont be loud enough. Your speakers will sound tinny. The speakers will probably blow.

And 600-800e for a DJ? Mind telling me where you paying that? Just give me a sec while I bring up ryanair.com, now wheres my credit card gone....

Fair enough - thanks for those words of advice. I'll source 2 x 200w+ PA purpose speakers. If I bring an MP3 player I presume I just use the exact same lead which I've connect to my home speaker system?

you'll probably need a large audio to small audio adapter to go from the headphone jack of the ipod.

If I bring an MP3 player I presume I just use the exact same lead which I've connect to my home speaker system?
Not really, home audio systems generally use L+R phono connectors. Professional audio speakers take 1 of 3 types of connectors which are either a) speakons b) XLR or c) 1/4" jack.
So it depends on the speakers you get. Your mp3 player will have 1/8" headphone connector out, so you need to get from this to the speakers.
DJ speakers or "tops" come in 2 types, active and passive. If they're passive, you'll need an amp to drive them, so you'll connect your mp3 player into the amp and control the sound level from the amp, if theyre active you can plug straight into the speakers.
When youre sourcing the speakers ask what type (active/passive) the tops are and what connectors you'll need to get from an mp3 player to them.
You can usually pick up a brass (recommended) 1/8" to a 1/4" adaptor for 3-4e and then 10m Jack or XLR cable for about 10-12euro. So you shouldnt be talking any more then 25-30e for leads. Find out the above anyway, foreign holidays are becoming more and more popular and bringing the mp3 player is as well. Hotels should be used to those requests, so if they put you on to someone get them to tell you what you need to bring if anything. Post back here for for more info if required.
btw, Ask are there poles as well, raised speakers at head level have a much greater "throw" on them, ie, the levels travel clearer for further then if they were sitting on the ground playing to 20 peoples legs.
I'd be surprised if you paid any more then 80-100 euro but Im only familiar with Irish prices, last thing, pro tops are very heavy, so dont contemplate bringing with you.

To go from mp3 player to XLR use a [broken link removed] with a [broken link removed] cable, you'll then need to go from that cable to the speakers, 2 x 5m XLRs should suffice

Great stuff - I'll get in contact with the hotel & take those words of advice onboard. I'll post back if anything is unclear.