using mobile phone in USA -what options?

suicra05

we are going to USA on holidays. Have a triband and am with O2. I can use roaming with O2 but charges are approx 1 euro a minute, and 40 cent for texts. Is there a cheaper way of using my phone in the USA? Would I be better off buying a prepaid sim card in USA?

last time I was over there, I had my laptop and used Skype.

I put Skype on the PC at home and with a web cam on each side I was able to talk home to the kids each day and they could see me & vice versa. Skype is free when used this way.

You can also use Skype to make calls and its ridiculously cheap.

And theres free wifi in places like starbucks where Im sure you can use skype.

I ve found family at home insisting they sent me important information via text to the usa and it never arrived at my end. Also when I had an AT&T phone there you got charged to receive messages. It made no difference to my bill whether I initiated the call or the other person did.

I saw a thread some time back warning people to be careful about messages being charged for, even though the phone was turned off and they were costly. I cannot find the thread now but perhaps someone else can trace the thread.

Update: Wouldn't give in - knew I'd find it Warning on mobile phone voice mail when abroad

With O2 you dont get charged to receive a text but you are charged 25 cent to send them, on bill pay anyway.

Keep to text messaging and it is not overly expensive, but it is really handy to have a mobile in case of an emergency.