using laser in uk

eddie7

i will be buying a car in the uk (approx 6,000) the place im buying it accepts credit card or laser, as i dont want to carry cash and they charge a surcharge on using cc and the cc company charge a fee as well, im wondering if i can use my ulster bank laser/maestro for the transaction? has anyone used their ulster bank laser for a large transaction in uk?

[broken link removed]
Q: Can I use my Laser Card in other countries?

A: Laser Card can only be used in the Republic of Ireland.However, some banks and building societies that issue Laser Cards include other payment facilities on the Laser Card which allow the customer to use the card in ATMs and retail outlets abroad. Contact your bank or building society to confirm if these facilities are available on your card

the card i have is laser/maestro, and as far as im aware laser cards with the maestro symbol can be used in the uk if the retailer displays the maestro symbol,i just need to know if there are any fees i need to know about for such a large transaction?

Yes - in that case you would be using the Maestro and not the Laser facility on the card. If you mean for getting GBP£ cash then charges will indeed apply. You need to check your card terms & conditions or tariff of charges sheet. Chances are it would be cheaper to preload a credit card and withdraw cash that way if cutting costs is the main issue here. In both cases there will be a forex margin charge (at least 1.75% on the CC; not sure on Maestro) and with Maestro but probably not the CC there will be additional transaction charges.

sorry clubman,i think you misunderstood the post, i'm buying a car using the card for the transaction, i'm not looking to withdraw any cash! cant find anything in my t&c about fees using the maestro in uk,

Does this answer your question?:

Maestro- International Point of Sale Transaction^

1% foreign exchange fee
(Min charge €0.25 Max charge
€6) of the transaction value
plus 1% transaction fee charge
(Min charge €0.25 Max charge
€6) of the transaction value

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/content/ri/personal/current_accounts/downloads/Personal_Fees_and_Interest.pdf

You should check with your bank is there is a limit on a transaction using your laser card.
I have tried to pay for things before using a laser in ireland and was told that the transaction limit as €1000. I'm not sure if this was a bank limit or the merchant limit.

yeah blinder ulster banks limit is 1500 per transaction, but for a 6000 transaction they say i can split it into 4 seperate transactions, @ 6 euro exchange fee per transaction,

Back