Using GYM for first time on hotel break

H

Holiday2006

My friend's husband has never used a gym in his life! They have booked a 3 night break at a nice hotel in the North West for next week. She purposely booked the hotel that had a gym.

Has anyone any advice i can give her re. what gear husband should buy? will the staff at the gym be helpful in such cases? how should she approach it?

If he has never used a gym before then the best advice is to be careful and take it easy. The treadmill, steps or cycle should be fine but really if it is only for three days then he would be better off avoiding the weights otherwise he could run the risk of injury. Any hotel gym I've ever been in has left a lot to be desired as regards supervision or instructors.

As for gear - trainers, shorts, t-shirt and sweat towel (and lots of water!).

If he's never used a gym before then why would you expect him to start while on a leisure break?

From what i've heard from his wife, he is semi excited and semi nervous re using gym. Likely that he might join the local gym here afterwards if it goes good.

Will he undergo some assessment if using for first time or will he get guidance re what routine he should do in gym?

If it's for hotel guests only, it's unlikely to have a great deal of equipment and may not even have gym staff (look out for words like 'fitness suite' or 'exercise room'). If it is a full gym selling membership - well, for someone who is just on a weekend visit, it is possible but unlikely that they would give him a thorough assessment unless he specifically asked for or booked one in advance, as they wouldn't see the point in drawing up a programme for a one-off visitor. They'll be happy to show him how to use equipment, keep an eye on him, and give him some advice, but he won't get a very realistic gym experience.

Actually it's a full gym service and also available to the general public.

How much should he spend on gear like training shoes?

On a weekend break with one's partner, there are lots of cardio vascular options available other than the gym, he should save the money he would spend on training shoes, and spend it on a top class meal, during which wifey will say "Honey, wouldn't it be fun if we both join X gym at home".