using European electrcal appliances in Ireland.

john62

We are doing up the bathroms at the moment and found what we thought were the perfect bathroom cabinets for the job, the wife went to order them at the local bathroom suppliers and had to be pulled off the floor when she heard the price of them! 1360 Euro each!!! We found them on a German website for under 500 Euro each but as there is some strip lighting on either side of the cabinets the German guy emailed us to say they wouldn't work over here. Now I think they will as they are rated 230v and 50hz which is pretty close to our 220v and 50hz but I'd like to be sure before I go ahead and get them shipped. Any electricians out there who can advise me? P.S I am amazed by the savings that you can make by shopping abroad!

Hi John 62,
As far as I am aware all items used in ireland are rated at 230 v. Have a look at any electrical appliance. The 220 volts in Ireland varies slightly also.
Not an electrician, however I have been down this route before.

See [broken link removed] for details of electrical standards (voltages, frequencies, plugs/sockets etc.) around the world.

Since 2003, the electricity supply in Ireland has had a declared voltage of 230V +/- 10%. All electrical devices sold in Europe and EU kite marked must work in this range.

Check that the fittings are suitable for use in a bathroom in Ireland ie correct spec
German spec may be different.
If they are not up to spec your electrician will not be ablt to fit them as they would be unable to issue completion cert as they may not comply with regulations.

Check that the fittings are suitable for use in a bathroom in Ireland ie correct spec
German spec may be different.
If they are not up to spec your electrician will not be ablt to fit them as they would be unable to issue completion cert as they may not comply with regulations.

Thanks for the reply Sparkey, but what exactly do you mean by specs? I've checked the numbers for voltage and frequency and they are compatible with our electricity supply, is there anything else I need to consider?

Paraphrasing the Wiring Rules:
Light Fittings in a bathroom must be
Class II, which means double insulated,
totally enclosed,
if they are striplights, removal of the cover must isolate the supply to the lamp terminals,
only pull cord type switches are allowed,
no sockets are allowed on the unit other than shaver sockets with dual wound transformers,
light bulbs in place must not be accessible without removal of a cover.

Back